Here we go again....1, 2, 3...YOU ARE AWESOME!

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It has been a while. Just wanted to say hi to all and to draw attention to the series of upcoming events planned by the USTC. They will be having 4 Kukkiwon Master License Courses this year. Will it be the same as last time? I wonder if there will be any changes in the curriculum. Is anyone going to attend again? If and when I attend another it will be in Korea.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed they added Thursday to the line up. Also its now in my backyard here in Herndon VA.
Still I think a lot of it will be the same so Chicago and the great folks I got to meet and train with are going to be the memory I am happy to stay with : )

Dave O.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks like they won't allow anybody under 3rd Dan to take or even audit the course. I think that's a good idea.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It has been a while. Just wanted to say hi to all and to draw attention to the series of upcoming events planned by the USTC. They will be having 4 Kukkiwon Master License Courses this year. Will it be the same as last time? I wonder if there will be any changes in the curriculum. Is anyone going to attend again? If and when I attend another it will be in Korea.

So in april, there will be one in DC..... I wonder who is hosting that? And who is going?!?!?!?!/

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some brand new 5th Dans I am thinking of sending, where can I find a schedule of these courses? Thanks.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wade,
I found the info on http://www.taekwondoseminar.com/

Everyone else who attended last year. Its 4 days long this year. After what you all experienced last year, do you think it is worth it? Would you do it again?

I somehow wonder if it will be better than last year.... after everyones input.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I kinda feel like a I got the first generation of a new Apple product. The second generation will probably be better. Have it to do over again, I'd go to Korea for the Course.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I kinda feel like a I got the first generation of a new Apple product. The second generation will probably be better. Have it to do over again, I'd go to Korea for the Course.

I'd do again in Korea given the chance...maybe for the 2nd class instructor rating.

I think there is a cultural aspect that simply can't be reproduced outside of Korea.

I also believe that the USTC took the responses and is going to make the program better, which is a good thing.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am going to send some of my people this year but I will only go to Korea to do it, I believe one must actually be a part of the couture to really understand the whole way of life for those TKD'ers.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd do again in Korea given the chance...maybe for the 2nd class instructor rating.

I think there is a cultural aspect that simply can't be reproduced outside of Korea.

I also believe that the USTC took the responses and is going to make the program better, which is a good thing.

yeah, that is my delima rght now. Deciding if I should attend the one in DC. I could only hope it is better than last year, with the improvements and suggestions given. I just dont want to end up there and its a local event where only a few surrounding schools are there and they are the only focus..... if you know what i mean.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Amen to that. What's the minimum level for 2nd class? 6th Dan?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, for all of you who did go last time....

What did you do about the :
Successful completion of a certified and recognized 1st Aid Course
* Successful completion of a Background Investigation Check

What ever came of that? Did you have to do it? I remember talking about it but what came of it?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both the 1st aid & background check are required. Most states background checks are easy to get from live scan places. I went in & told the guy what I needed & he said, "so you need a piece of paper from the state proving it's been done." I said, "yes." And that what I got.

A first aid course is a good idea for an MA instructor. They just need to see your current 1st aid card.

They made it a point to say, "we will hold your certification if you don't have these items."

For what's its worth.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both the 1st aid & background check are required. Most states background checks are easy to get from live scan places. I went in & told the guy what I needed & he said, "so you need a piece of paper from the state proving it's been done." I said, "yes." And that what I got.

A first aid course is a good idea for an MA instructor. They just need to see your current 1st aid card.

They made it a point to say, "we will hold your certification if you don't have these items."

For what's its worth.

So i wonder if my Military ID and security clearance counts?????
Redcross CPR is required for work so that shouldnt be a prob, but what are live scan places?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So i wonder if my Military ID and security clearance counts?????
Redcross CPR is required for work so that shouldnt be a prob, but what are live scan places?

Live Scan maybe a California thing. Here they fingerprint you without ink into a computer to do a background check on you. My understanding is most other states don't do this. I'll defer to my collegues who went from other states to tell you how it's done elsewhere.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
In our area I have not seen Live Scan although it may be here. I searched State background check and found a form for Virginia. I am sure Maryland has one as well. You fill it out and mail it in. Give your self at least a month.
I took the Red Cross course in Maryland at the headquarters in Silver Spring. Look on their site. Make sure you take the complete course. They also tend to be booked out about a month.

Dave O.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Michigan all you had to do was go to the State's web site and have them do a background check. Only information required was you name address and SS#. cost 10 bucks. For the firstaid I found a online FirstAid/CPR class for 19.95. Read a few pages of print and watched some YouTube videos and took a test. took about 1.5 - 2 hours of total time. After the course would I consider myself and expert no, but it did meet the requirements to take the FIC seminar. The Redcross course in Michigan is 2 days and cost a lot more. Would have liked to do it but just didn't have the time.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did an online background check and took 8 hours of red cross classes. It was easy and fun. If you are going I recommend getting a copy of the book at least 1 month before. It is a long read.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Background checks here is easy, since I am a teacher we have to have one every year sounds kinda bad, once you are in why keep going though it year after year but they have there reason. As far as first aid our school does this for all coaches and staff that want it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Amen to that. What's the minimum level for 2nd class? 6th Dan?

Yes, sir.

3rd Class is for 4th-5th dans
2nd Class is for 6th-7th dans
1st Class is for 8th -9th dans

I think it is encouraging that the KKW recognizes that even if you have an 8th or 9th dan, there is still room to grow.

Latest Discussions