Help!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's 4 am est, I'm supposed to be at work at 8 am and I can't sleep AT ALL! I have bouts of insomnia made worse by being hot and sweaty when I try to sleep (like now), and it also doesn't help that every song I've ever heard decides to go through my head! I have the theme song from "Wonder Years" and Alanis' song, "Ironic" going at the same time! What do you do for insomnia?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
It's 4 am est, I'm supposed to be at work at 8 am and I can't sleep AT ALL! I have bouts of insomnia made worse by being hot and sweaty when I try to sleep (like now), and it also doesn't help that every song I've ever heard decides to go through my head! I have the theme song from "Wonder Years" and Alanis' song, "Ironic" going at the same time! What do you do for insomnia?

Melatonin and Valerian root.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing you should not do is stay in bed if you cannot sleep. Try walking around the house or do a quick small chore. Staying in bed only makes you think about other things. :)

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
- try to make a routine that you follow before going to bed so it signals to your brain that it is time to cool down and get in the mind-set for sleeping
- avoid caffiene before bed
- avoid the computer an hour before you go to bed
- avoid books that get you too involved in the plot
- dim the lights and stay out of brightly lit areas
- a sleep cd or tape is often helpful because it pulls your mind from racing thoughts and they do not have lyrics for you to think about
- DO NOT NAP DURING THE DAY!
- and if you want to...try a tea called "sleepy-time tea" ive found it pretty helpful

- all else fails...make sure to see your doctor

these are some tips that my doctor gave me when i developed insomnia about 4 years ago...hope this helps

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nevada_MO_Guy said:
How did work go? :)

Needless to say, I called in. Something about working with only 0 hours of sleep didn't sound too hot. I wound up sleeping for 2 hours, which would've been more if someone didn't wake me up. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I wound up sleeping for 2 hours, which would've been more if someone didn't wake me up.
Bummer.

Sometimes when I need to wind down, I have a wee bit of rum. :drinkbeer

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pick up a few hundred pounds and carry it around for while...I do it and I sleep like a baby.:)

*Sleep like a baby...does that make sense?

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Pick up a few hundred pounds and carry it around for while...I do it and I sleep like a baby.:)

*Sleep like a baby...does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense to me! A little bit of an overgrown baby, but I can see it... :)

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news! I slept like a baby myself last night. I took 2 tylenol pm's just to make sure- but boy, did I have some weird dreams!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know sometimes I will take a nyquil tab with milk. That helps. I once tried playing a video game. Wow, bad idea. I also tried the "If the show sucks and is lame, I will fall right to sleep. No I was wrong about that too.