Hello + question

Geo. Krauss

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, from one with some expericence (Shotokan and Uechi-ryu karate, Tang Soo Do [Moo Duk Kwan], Tai Chi Ch'uan, Judo). Just found this site, so I'm new here.
Question: a certain Japanese/Okinawan arts phrase (best rendered in romanized syllables as) "ha-nai-ya sho kyu" popped into my mind awhile back and the meaning eludes me. I knew what it meant in the past, but I guess I'm getting forgetful. I KNOW it has nothing to do with "sho kyu" as 'first kyu/grade below black belt', but might be 'first cause' or 'first reason' - I just can't remember! Present sensei says it sounds familiar, but he can't remember either.
Anyone have any knowledge of meaning???
Geo.K

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
は な え や しょ きゅ ( Ha na e ya sho kyu?) This means like it will come in time? or it comes with practice?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm just guessing -- but could it be on of the various versions of "there's no first attack"?

With your background -- have you checked out our Karate, Judo, and other art specific forums? I bet you have some great insights for some of the discussions there!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Happy Posting! :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT..

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, look forward to seeing you out on the threads! Sorry, not very versed in Japanese.. . only Korean.

Latest Discussions