Hello from Florida

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

I reside in south Florida and I am intending to study a martial art.

Many years ago (over 20) I began studying Shorin Ryu (very briefly - no rank), however due to a move I was unable to continue. I never followed up after that. From what I can remember it was very appealing.

Locally, I have found a dojo where Shinjinbukan Shorin Ryu Karate is taught. Since I have no martial arts background I am studying information about the above to determine if it would be a good fit for me. I would welcome any comments/suggestions. The nearest school to me teaches the above by Chief Instructor Master Yoshihiko Shinzato.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ave.
Go check out the school and talk to the instructor. See if you can get a free class or two. That will give you more of a "feel" for the art than research alone will. Good luck and see you in the forums.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More importantly, who teaches the kenpo studio that's close to your area? There are many kenpoists on here that could say whether or not to step in the studio. Having a background in both arts I'd say you might have more fun in the kenpo studio. However, not all kenpo is created the same. It depends upon the instructor and their knowledge of the art.

OP
Emptyhand

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
JFarnsworth,

The nearest American Kenpo school is approx. 16 miles away. There was one closer but it closed down. Actually Ed Parkers American Kenpo is of interest to me but my work schedule, distance to the dojo and limited adult classes offered by the school make it a difficult decision to commit.