Hello from Alaska!

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all!

New to the forum and the discipline. Been a lurker here for awhile, decided it was time to belly up and introduce myself.

I'm 45 and just started training in TKD in February of this year. I've consistently been active throughout my life, but recently, within the past 5-6 years, I've been working at a desk. Got into TKD to simply get off my butt and get more active. Turns out, I've found a new love. :D

I've always been very good at whatever I've done... and have gotten there very quickly. Musician, hang glider pilot, home builder, business owner, wood worker... etc. It's all come fairly easy to me.

Not so with TaeKwon-do!

What an amazing challenge this is. There is always something to work on, always something new to suck at. LOL! Seriously though... I'm getting so much out of studying this art form. On every level. Physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Quite frankly, and I know I'm just starting out, but I seriously doubt I will ever stop... as long as my body will carry me.

Anyway... just wanted to say hi, and thank you for providing such a great forum from information and camaraderie.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to hear you are enjoying your training in TKD, looking forward to hearing more about your journey :)

OP
T

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Who is your master and what city

Please excuse my ignorance in such matters... I am still very new and haven't studied much other than that which my instructor has put in front of me. :D

That said, I'll do my best...

My dojang, Midnight Sun Martial Arts Academy, is in Fairbanks. My instructor is Mr. Jeff Hurben. MSMAA is part of the Phoenix Group under Master John Tompkins. The Phoenix Group is a part of the ITF.

Does that make sense?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it does make sense there has never been much WTF in Fairbanks and a shame since you could drive to Anchorage for tournaments and WTF sanctioned events but training is training and if you have a good Master who teaches you one on one healh and Self defense good for you I am wondering if I met your master in 2002?

Just remember if you ever want to become Tae Kwon Do main stream for what ever reason there is only KKW and WTF for the majority related to certification and competiiton if that means nothing in the future then you are fine

OP
T

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Quite frankly, I really have no idea where the study/training is going to take me. I know I want to earn a BB, but I'm still such a noob, I really don't know which aspects of TKD are going to interest me the most. I may really get into competing... just don't know yet.

I do know that my instructor is awesome. Very much a family feel in his dojang and he makes the training fun and interesting... and of course intensely challenging.

Again, thanks for the info on the WTF... but I am quite happy where I am at at this point and time. :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, a belated welcome to MT. Having seen some of your posts already, all will benifit from your participation.

Latest Discussions