Hello everyone.

texasmr2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
My name's Gregg and I'm 43yr's old. I have been a martial art's fan since I was about 6yr's old but I am interested in persueing the Kali form.I must admit that I have not done any form of training, I used to be into weight lifting/bodybuilding, in 10+yr's. I would like to get any and all advice and insight I can from everyone.

I'm actually considering a 2nd job at a local pub/restraurant as a bouncer, not that they need one but they have the position available, and would like to build upon my personal protection skill's. I must say I am by no mean's a fighter because I try to disarm a situation without violence and also because, as alot of us probably do have a breaking point, in the past once a level was surpassed I was all instinct and no discipline. That is not a good thing because as we all know discipline is very imporortant.

I would like some advice as to any local Kali class's here on the westside of Houston or how you think I should begin a basic training program?
I hope I have not come off in a negative manner although I am a newbie, I look forward to everyone's input and guidance.

Thank's for listening,
Gregg

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Gregg and you should post in the Kali section that you are looking for a good teacher in your area, you wil get a better response.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...Lots of former and current bouncers and more Kali students than you can shake a stick at, sorry couldn't resist...Make yourself at home...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
My name's Gregg and I'm 43yr's old. I have been a martial art's fan since I was about 6yr's old but I am interested in persueing the Kali form.I must admit that I have not done any form of training, I used to be into weight lifting/bodybuilding, in 10+yr's. I would like to get any and all advice and insight I can from everyone.

I'm actually considering a 2nd job at a local pub/restraurant as a bouncer, not that they need one but they have the position available, and would like to build upon my personal protection skill's. I must say I am by no mean's a fighter because I try to disarm a situation without violence and also because, as alot of us probably do have a breaking point, in the past once a level was surpassed I was all instinct and no discipline. That is not a good thing because as we all know discipline is very imporortant.

I would like some advice as to any local Kali class's here on the westside of Houston or how you think I should begin a basic training program?
I hope I have not come off in a negative manner although I am a newbie, I look forward to everyone's input and guidance.

Thank's for listening,
Gregg

Welcome to Martial Talk. Here are some Arnis schools in Tx. You can also check this out as well. And you also have this.

One thing that you'll find with the FMAs, is that they'll provide you with some great weapon defense, great empty hand work and they all usually blend very well with just about every art out there.

Mike

OP
T

texasmr2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WOW I thank you all so much for you warm welcome and advice ! I will look into what was prescribed, many thank's.

Gregg

OP
T

texasmr2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WOW I thank you all so much for you warm welcome and advice ! I will look into what was prescribed, many thank's.

Gregg

PS,
Sorry for the KALI stuff I just truelly like the 'hand to hand' thing about it, I'm so 'wet behind the ear's',that there may be better option's but I guess what better way to learn to 'swim' than to throw yourself into the 'deep end' lol?

OP
T

texasmr2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to be a post whore everyone but I may have mislead myself. I will first ask, what is recommended to start out with, Kali may have not been the right choice, ok? What form would be recommended for close quarter's hand/hand and submission technique's?

Many thank's,
Gregg

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a post whore everyone but I may have mislead myself. I will first ask, what is recommended to start out with, Kali may have not been the right choice, ok? What form would be recommended for close quarter's hand/hand and submission technique's?

Many thank's,
Gregg

The FMAs, as I said, will provide you with alot. You will find the close quarters stuff you're looking for, you will find weapon (stick and blade) defense, and submissions. You will find that there are a huge number of joint locks in the system.

Now, while there is some groundwork, it isn't as indepth as if you went to a BJJ school, where the majority of focus is groundwork.

Alot of it depends on what you're looking for. My suggestion would be to check out some schools in your area that interest you. Watch a few classes, take a trial class or two and see if you like it. :)

Mike

Latest Discussions