Hello All

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
So I decided to join up on this and try to meet of similar interests. Trying to meet people online in the last 2 decades has never worked for me, but I thought I'd give it a try again. I'm 34, male, been training in martial arts for a little over 20 years. I train alone as I have found it difficult to find anyone who does martial arts. Where are you guys hiding? I'm from Ohio, and one of my goals was to script a short film, choreographed chase fight scene. I have a youtube videos, stunt reel, training type. Would be nice to shoot with more than just myself. As the aging never stops, I fear that I may never get that chance. Anyway I could go on and on don't want to bore anyone, just thought I say hi and reach out. - PJ

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What art/arts do you train in? I'd love to join you in a film, but your state is an 8hour drive unfortunately.

OP
Stablades86

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
What art/arts do you train in? I'd love to join you in a film, but your state is an 8hour drive unfortunately.

I practice Capoeira and Taekwondo for the most part. But for last 6-7 years I've been training with all sorts of weapons. I'm always willing to travel, sometimes setting makes the difference.

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I decided to join up on this and try to meet of similar interests. Trying to meet people online in the last 2 decades has never worked for me, but I thought I'd give it a try again. I'm 34, male, been training in martial arts for a little over 20 years. I train alone as I have found it difficult to find anyone who does martial arts. Where are you guys hiding? I'm from Ohio, and one of my goals was to script a short film, choreographed chase fight scene. I have a youtube videos, stunt reel, training type. Would be nice to shoot with more than just myself. As the aging never stops, I fear that I may never get that chance. Anyway I could go on and on don't want to bore anyone, just thought I say hi and reach out. - PJ
welcome some good people on here but a few nagative people too. you will soon sort out the wheat from the chaff :p

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I practice Capoeira and Taekwondo for the most part. But for last 6-7 years I've been training with all sorts of weapons. I'm always willing to travel, sometimes setting makes the difference.
You say that you train alone, do you have a teacher? How are you going about it? Do you live in a small rural area without instruction options? How far to the nearest community with a good school?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Stableblades86. :)

OP
Stablades86

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
You say that you train alone, do you have a teacher? How are you going about it? Do you live in a small rural area without instruction options? How far to the nearest community with a good school?

I'm self taught, I actually attended one session long ago in Ninjutsu but never really went through with it. I train mostly at the metro parks.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm self taught, I actually attended one session long ago in Ninjutsu but never really went through with it. I train mostly at the metro parks.
Ok, I think I saw in another thread you mentioned that you live in Cleveland? I am sure there must be a number of schools there, although perhaps they are not open now for in-person training due to Covid. But pre-Covid, is there a reason you could not have attended one of them? You say you have been training for 20 years, but all of it has been without instruction, aside from your single ninjitsu session? Do I understand that correctly?

Trying to figure it out on your own is most likely not a successful road. You really do need an instructor. I don’t understand why you say you have had difficulty finding other people who train martial arts.

Is there something I am not understanding? Is there a reason why you have chosen to not join a school in Cleveland?

OP
Stablades86

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I think I saw in another thread you mentioned that you live in Cleveland? I am sure there must be a number of schools there, although perhaps they are not open now for in-person training due to Covid. But pre-Covid, is there a reason you could not have attended one of them? You say you have been training for 20 years, but all of it has been without instruction, aside from your single ninjitsu session? Do I understand that correctly?

Trying to figure it out on your own is most likely not a successful road. You really do need an instructor. I don’t understand why you say you have had difficulty finding other people who train martial arts.

Is there something I am not understanding? Is there a reason why you have chosen to not join a school in Cleveland?

Actually it's an interesting story but the short version is, I started tumbling, parkour/ freerunning at age 9. It eventually turned into tricking, then by age 12 I realized that martial arts was inevitable. I can assure you I never really needed a teacher, just a partner or group to practice with. Capoeira and Taekwondo are disciplines that just came natural to me. I never joined a Dojo because life was never stable. Military, divorce, I eventually became a homeless veteran, but luckily I kept my head up, kept my record clean and landed a career in trucking. I cannot commit now at a late age to a sensei because I'm afraid I won't commit. I don't use martial arts for self defense or to start trouble. It has worked magic in my life that has given me the ability to keep a fighting chance.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations on coming through a time of homelessness. Well done.

A group to train with typically means a teacher with classmates to train with. A group of true equals who regularly gather to train, without someone in a teacher or leader role, I think would be unusual.

The truth is, you need a teacher. I am an ex-capoeirista and I know the difficulties of training in that method, as well as the richness of movement that you will never see or develop on your own. You need someone to guide you and open your eyes to what is possible. TKD is a full system that you can’t get on your own, you need a teacher who can convey good technique that makes it effective. Trust me, you will really grow with a good teacher and a group of supportive classmates. Give it a shot.