Hearing problems

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I have had a cold for a couple weeks and I'd just started getting over it and I thought it was gone so I did some martial art practice. Not sparring or any contact just forms and there was a weird feeling in my ear but it went quickly. But I woke up last night and couldn't hear out my right ear and still can't now. I can hear out of it but its muffled. Some are saying its because of my cold but the cold had gone so I don't know. I know I should go to the doctor but there is a 3 week waiting list so thought I'd see if I could get some advice.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have had a cold for a couple weeks and I'd just started getting over it and I thought it was gone so I did some martial art practice. Not sparring or any contact just forms and there was a weird feeling in my ear but it went quickly. But I woke up last night and couldn't hear out my right ear and still can't now. I can hear out of it but its muffled. Some are saying its because of my cold but the cold had gone so I don't know. I know I should go to the doctor but there is a 3 week waiting list so thought I'd see if I could get some advice.

Had the same thing about three months, at least with the hearing. Got my right checked, and I had picked up an infection. I left it for a bit because I didn't want to go to hospital, but my ear started to get painful and weep a little. Best of luck, and hope you get it sorted.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had the same thing about three months, at least with the hearing. Got my right checked, and I had picked up an infection. I left it for a bit because I didn't want to go to hospital, but my ear started to get painful and weep a little. Best of luck, and hope you get it sorted.
Yeah I'm hoping it passes I don't fancy paying 50 quid for a couple minutes talking and giving me something that probably won't work

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is worth going to the doctor for if it doesn't clear up in a day or so. Possibilities range from the innocuous (congestion in the ear) to the worrisome (infection or damage).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another possibility is an ear wax buildup which needs to be professionally cleared. I'm prone to those.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is some homeopathic crap you can shove in there. A friend of mine did it to his kid and it worked.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All the cases I've seen were foreign objects and infections. Every person in my (extended)family has dry earwax (that's an east Asian genetic trait), so I've never seen wax clogging.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another possibility is an ear wax buildup which needs to be professionally cleared. I'm prone to those.
Yeah turns out that's what it is I have to take ear drops and if its still there next week I go back and get it drained. I hate these ear drops they make it feel so much worse haha

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah turns out that's what it is I have to take ear drops and if its still there next week I go back and get it drained. I hate these ear drops they make it feel so much worse haha
Glad to hear it's nothing serious. Hope that clears it up for you quickly!

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's nothing serious. Hope that clears it up for you quickly!
Yeah hopefully the drops will clear it up so I don't have to get it syringed and have to pay another load of money

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought I may as well update. I got it syringed today and seems to be better it feels uncomfortable a bit but I guess that's common after that and had a slight thumping in my ear but that seems to have gone now anyway so all good just hope it doesn't happen again

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad you're feeling better, bro.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I needed that laugh before work. :)