have you ever used it?

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
has anyone ever had to use their karate training in a real life situation? if so what were the circumstances that caused you to have to use it and how did it turn out?

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had to use my skills in a few situations. One was at a friends party, I was trying to save this girls life and was attacked from behind, after I turned around I was able to focus, he attacked with a jab, rightcross combo. I deflected the punches and side kicked him in the ribs, he tried again and I roundhouse kicked him in the testicles, that pretty much took the fight out of him. I had a busted eardrum, bleeding from the ear. This was from the unseen attack from behind.
The second situation was at a local bar, I was there with friends, bumped into a guy that apparently had too much to drink, he broke a bottle and came after me, when he stabbed at me, I deflected it, but still got stabble in the arm. Kicked him in the knee and the abdomin,backfist strike to the side of the head, he went down, that's when I noticed that I was bleeding and was stabbed in the arm. Had a friend take me to the hospital, got 24 stitches.
I would say that I should have been able to avoid the situations better because of my training.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i use my training every day, especially the situational awareness part to spot trouble before it's on me and the good personal judgment part to leave early before trouble really starts brewin'.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The last two times I've opened the medicine cabinet above my sink my floss has falln' out and I've instinctively caught it before it landed in my sink. :asian:

And that's before I've even had my Wheaties!!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i use my training every day, especially the situational awareness part to spot trouble before it's on me and the good personal judgment part to leave early before trouble really starts brewin'.

Well said...

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I use it all the time working with aggressive youth, I use holds, submissions, and joint locks more since in only extreme cases can I strike one.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have had to use it. It worked well as I came out ok but sore. The situations could have been really bad but my reaction saved me. I still look at has being lucky.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I want to throw a story out about how it saved someone ELSE.

I was leaving an old apartment too pick up a few of my last things. The people I was moving out from didn't like me very much but I'm not claiming to be innocent.

I had my entire knife collection. I was transporting in the winter snow to my car when the guy confronted me. He asked to take off my glasses cause he was going to hit me. He asked twice I tried to defuse and he threw a right hook. I blocked with my one free arm (which had a 20oz coke in it) he threw a left hook and cought me. I spun around and he was behind me.

Now he started to throw punches like crazy against my back (it was winter in Michigan). I relized he had no idea what he was doing. So I stood there and let him wear himself out.

Eventually he got tired and I left and filed a police report and he got arrested for battery.

Now it had occured to me I was being assulted and I was outnumberd. It also occured to me I had a lot of exceptionally capable weapons at my disposal.

In the end my training told me leathal force wasn't needed I never even dropped the boxes I was carrying. When I spoke to the cops they told me I'd be going to jail right now if I would have stabbed him even tho he started the fight.

So I guess it saved him an me :)

--Infy.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's a great story, infy. just sat there and let him hit you since he wasn't really doing any harm.

took a lot of personal grit and discipline to subsume your ego like that. well done.

dragonswordkata

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use it all the time working with aggressive youth, I use holds, submissions, and joint locks more since in only extreme cases can I strike one.

I work in a similar, but different, situation with DD and Brain injured adults. Unlike your situation we can not use submission or joint locks. We can use the CPI responces when they get to the Acting Out Person state, which basicaly means if they come a swing'en we can block and move and do 2 person contolr holds, that's about it.
I was curious if you were in more of a lock down facility.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
One story comes to mind. This happened some years ago when I was a white belt.

When I returned home late friday night around midnight after eating dinner with some friends, I discovered I had forgot to post an important letter. I slid my boots back on without tying them properly (the nearest mailbox was under five minutes walk away) and went to post it. Doing a shortcut I walked trough an alley and under some scaffolding into the main street. While under the scaffold I heard someone running lightly behind me. I think I recognice the footsteps of my brother and thinking he probably wants to scare me I decide to play along. Catching up with me, the person jumps onto my back. I spin around and slide him off but get my back against the wall in the process. However it is not my brother, and he is not alone either having a nerveous looking buddy with him and circling me. " Do you have money?" asks the leader, "Give us your money!" Well I don`t have any money on me but I am not about to be bullied and even in the dark I can tell they are not too sure of themselves. I do a front kick against the leader, causing him to jump back. His buddy also steps back and I take the opportunity to move out from the wall. Next they both appear to be pulling something from their pockets. "****! these guys got knives" I think and consider running. However my boots are not tied properly (STUPID!) so I`d very likely trip myself. I back away slowly, positioning me so I can face them one at a time. Next I am smacked in the face and shoulder by belts, not knives. As it was very dark I was unable to block or see what they in fact were pulling out. Now this only stings a bit and they appear to be waiting for my reaction instead of pressing the attack. Do these punks think I am an old woman or something? I nearly lose my temper and attack but I remind myself that would not be self defence. Instead I take a step towards them and in my most commanding drill sergeant voice tell them to "F*** OFF!". This has the desired effect as both take a step backwards and the nervous one even drops something out of his pockets and move to pick it up. I take the opportunity to walk away, slowly and glancing over my shoulder. Getting out from under the scaffold I quickly walk the 100 yards to the mail box, post my letter and tie my laces. The would-be muggers are following me at a safe distance but when they see I have stopped, they avoid me, walking down the other side of the street. They also crack their belts in the air and shouts to me "you want something eh?". I ignore them, find a witness who had seen part of the incident and call the police. Of course it took them over minutes to arrive and by then the two low lifes were long gone.

I learned two things from this: always tie your laces and never trust someone walking up behind you.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work in a similar, but different, situation with DD and Brain injured adults. Unlike your situation we can not use submission or joint locks. We can use the CPI responces when they get to the Acting Out Person state, which basicaly means if they come a swing'en we can block and move and do 2 person contolr holds, that's about it.
I was curious if you were in more of a lock down facility.

I have worked in a lock down treatment facility before but now I work in an alternative school. I have found in my 20+ years working with CPI I could only use it twice, usually the agitated person does not cooperate and get in a good control position it usually ends up being a free for all and you have to use what you can so no one gets hurt to bad. That is why I have been training a great deal in BJJ and Aikido it allows me to deescalate a situation rather quickly and safely.

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
has anyone ever had to use their karate training in a real life situation? if so what were the circumstances that caused you to have to use it and how did it turn out?
No, I have never had to use karate, and I pray that I never do.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Working as a Paramedic I have had to defend victims from further battery two times. Doing so I have never had to strike but have had a few intances in which I had to deflect or parry. Usually we also had police protection so it never got to the point I had to strike back. The police usually do a good job of watching out for us.

As a bouncer however I had occasion to defend myself. The worse required a quick knifehand under the nose. That didn't do any damage that I am aware of but it did take the fight out of him.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right on to Bushidomartialarts! I think the best defense skills that I have picked up is trying to always be aware of my surroundings, those around me and changes in the environment or atmosphere - and picking when a good/sensisble time has arrived to cut out when things are turning dodgy/potentially dangerous - particularly when my girl's around, it's no good being a hero and having your woman get into grief with you!

It's not exactly paranoia but things such as positioning oneself when on the tube/train on a late Friday night so no one can come at you from behind etc, checking out exits/doors etc when going into parties, being aware of others around you etc can really hold one in good stead.

That said, I have had a few run ins - when I was younger (maybe more willing to fight rather than difuse or walk/run away). A couple of times I was attacked by single assailents and I actually used my judo background, once to choke-hold and once to flip to the pavement.

I was also confronted by three guys after I had bumped into one of their younger brothers and knocked him over by accident. I tried explaining and backing out but they kept getting closer until they were right up in my face, then I just snapped and next thing two of them were on the ground holding their faces - I must have punched them both in the face but to this day I can't remember either deciding to hit or even being aware of hitting them - it freaked me out a bit at the time. TO this day I can't recal striking out!

Now after having fought a lot (in the ring, not on the street) I am much more aware at the time of conflict and able to focus on my actions and analyse my opponent) but even though I'm a far better fighter than when I was a young punk I now do all I can to avoid confrontations on the street. Now days with the threat of guns everywhere and whole gangs picking on one guy, whatever fun or excitment there was in a street brawl has long gone.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, and I am not happy to have done so. It shows that Ilacked the ablity to talk my way out of a situation. I used to think it would be cool to useit and leave my enemies in pain, but as you gain knowledge and experience it all changes.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I was nearing my black belt test, a new student asked me the same question. I told him that I use it every day. He looked at me in a confused way, then I explained that the confidence, discipline, awareness, and self-control are as much a part of karate as any technique. He sort of looked disappointed, but he understood what I meant.

About a month later, I was chaperoning a group of 25 kids and about 10 parents on a walking tour around Rome and Athens. I always stayed in the back so I could keep an eye out for pickpockets and troublemakers. Also, I am pretty tall, so I could keep a eye on the tour guide, and keep people from falling too far behind and losing the group.

At one point a street vendor approached one of the 13 year-old girls to try and sell her a necklace. Since we were en route I headed over to keep her moving, but she had already agreed to a deal by the time I got there. He conned her into giving him extra money, expecting change, but he just took the cash and started to put it in his pocket. By then I was at his side, and without even thinking about it, I grabbed his wrist in a "subtle" wrist lock, and twisted it back out in front of him where one of the mothers had plenty of time to pick out the proper change, then we let him go.

It wasn't until afterwards that I realized that I had him in a bona-fide lock, and that if he struggled I was positioned and ready to take him to the ground using that lock. I just knew that once that money reached his pocket it was gone.

Over all it worked out pretty well, she got her necklace, he got his money, and she learned a very important lesson about being street-wise. Best of all, nobody got hurt!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I spoke to the cops they told me I'd be going to jail right now if I would have stabbed him even tho he started the fight.

Christ, that is just like high school - someone else starts a fight, you defend yourself, and you BOTH get expelled. What is it with cops these days that are so harsh on people defending themselves?

undeadcheese

White Belt
Reaction score
I use karate at work every day when I have to lift more than 80lbs of salt.
I've only had to use it frequently when I was helping my mother with a needle exchange program as part of county outreach programs. Otherwise its been limited to a few muggings, and breaking up some fights at school.

undeadcheese

White Belt
Reaction score
Christ, that is just like high school - someone else starts a fight, you defend yourself, and you BOTH get expelled. What is it with cops these days that are so harsh on people defending themselves?
I've been told by cops that its because they cannot tell who "started it", nor is it in their job description in many cases. The only thing that cops can see is the amount of damage inflicted, and having evidence that someone trained in martialarts is an easy way to add premeditation to a list of charges. Also from a political side note it may look "sexy" to catch and charge a martial artist.

Latest Discussions