have you ever doubt how useful CMA is in self-defense or street fight?

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
it's no doubt that nowaday, CMA is on the way down. it's no doubt that taiji is no more fighting skill but a health care method.it's no doubt that there are so many CMA fakes, and few real masters.it's no doubt that...
do you still believe CMA is a good fighting skill in real life?
before i heard of this, i do!
this is a real story happened last month. a guy who is a ex-serviceman, is working as a driver for my shi xiong. he learnt three single movements from my master one year ago.and during the one-year time, my master met him several times, no new techniques but corrected some mistakes in his training.
in a 1 vs 5 street fight last month, he KOed all of them within 2 Minites by using these movements. this was recorded by monitor.
unfortunately, one of the five opponents called in more than 30 guys later , with machetes. and one hand of him had been cut off.
it's bloody in deed, but it shows to me that some CMA is a good or great fighting skill. and if you face guys with killing tools, it's better to run as fast as you could.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Indeed. I feel badly for your colleague, as he probably had no choice but to engage in the first fight. I hope he wasn't looking for a fight, or to prove his skills.

CMA or no CMA, getting into a fight is always risky. Do we really think that if we beat someone in a fight, he'll bow humbly and ask to be our student, or at least leave us alone?

Although the idea of giving a righteous beatdown to an evil aggressor can be tempting, your story reminds us of one thing: any contact with an aggressor is dangerous. Lose the fight and risk death now. Win the fight and risk death later. Kill the aggressor and risk death at the hands of his vengeful comrades.

Now would this be a good policy?
1. If you can, avoid all places (and times) where aggression may take place.
2. If you can't do that, avoid attracting attention and don't linger. Walk smoothly and quickly, look like the background people, etc.
3. If you are noticed, don't be threatening. Distract (or befriend) then escape.
4. If you can't escape right away, fight until you can escape.
5. If no escape is possible, fight in such a way as to appear only slightly better than the aggressor as to not make him lose face. (Yeah, right.) Minimize the potential for revenge, in other words.
6. If all else fails, survive now and deal with the fallout later.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Up to a point, I have to disagree with the assertion that CMA are on the decline. For most students of CMA, it takes years to become proficient with any style. In this day and age, obviously, it is difficult for most people to find the time to study more than once or twice a week. But there are people out there who do it. As long as styles are passed on, that to me is the important thing. It seems like one of those things that goes in cycles, and I believe at some point down the road, people will be able to learn CMA like they did in the past. Basic martial arts move will help most in a one on one fight with someone of equal or less skill, probably not against a trained fighter.

-Right now, because of my current time schedule and financial situation, I don't study anything. (Working on that.) When opportunity arises, I could look for a school that teaches something like Krav Maga. Simple moves, not a lot of tradition. If I won the lotto, I would have the time to do whatever I wanted, and I might look into Wing Chun. Lots of possibilities really, as long as we all find what works for us.

Andrew

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Indeed. I feel badly for your colleague, as he probably had no choice but to engage in the first fight. I hope he wasn't looking for a fight, or to prove his skills.

CMA or no CMA, getting into a fight is always risky. Do we really think that if we beat someone in a fight, he'll bow humbly and ask to be our student, or at least leave us alone?

Although the idea of giving a righteous beatdown to an evil aggressor can be tempting, your story reminds us of one thing: any contact with an aggressor is dangerous. Lose the fight and risk death now. Win the fight and risk death later. Kill the aggressor and risk death at the hands of his vengeful comrades.

Now would this be a good policy?
1. If you can, avoid all places (and times) where aggression may take place.
2. If you can't do that, avoid attracting attention and don't linger. Walk smoothly and quickly, look like the background people, etc.
3. If you are noticed, don't be threatening. Distract (or befriend) then escape.
4. If you can't escape right away, fight until you can escape.
5. If no escape is possible, fight in such a way as to appear only slightly better than the aggressor as to not make him lose face. (Yeah, right.) Minimize the potential for revenge, in other words.
6. If all else fails, survive now and deal with the fallout later.

i agree with you that if there is any other choice, No violence.
however, in this story, what i find out is that CMA is proved to be a useful method.