Has anyone heard of "Carnemás" (sp?)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was at the Farmer's market on Sunday, I heard two gents near me talking about grilling, particularly BBQ. One gent started talking about a sauce for a dish he called "Carnemás". The name stuck in my head as "carne más" in Spanish would roughly translate to "more meat" which is a fitting name for something you would barbeque :D

The idea sounded intriguing, so when I got home, I went to google Carnemás. No joy. I tried one word, two words, different spellings, even tried searching in Spanish. No luck.

Has anyone heard of this? Any idea what specifically it is?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Closest I can think of is carne asada... Could be something local. A lot of the time, different communities or nations have some notable differences in their Spanish, kind of like English. Sometimes, they'll really make you scratch your head if you're not used to them.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Carol

is is possible he said 'carnitas' but softened the 't' ??

lots of discussion on this way of preparing pork and lots of recipes: for me there's many ways of doing it,
not one single way.

use a big bone-in pork shoulder - we're not going for lean here. Or same amount (2lbs and up) of meaty country style ribs
(not spare-ribs) . Trim, render and save fat. which makes the great lard for biscuits and pie crust.
Keep pork in large pieces and simmer gently in a pot of spices, chilis, orange and lime juice, bay leaves,
multiple peeled garlic cloves (I use a whole head of garlic) 2 big onions, big handful of Mexican
oregano, at least one bottle of (made in Mexico only) Coke or Jarritos mexican cola, 2-3 cups of water.

If I have time I'll Marinate, then dry and brown the pork, then simmer pork in the marinade: the slow cooker is fine.
People have been known to BBQ these big cuts when they get tender, then chop, de-fat and reduce the cooking
liquid, return the pork to the liquid and try to hold people back. Some folks chop the meat roughly
then finish by frying it into crispy pieces. Here's a link:

http://the99centchef.blogspot.com/2013/03/20-tacos-carnitas-mexican-style-pork.html

Serve in fresh made tacos, pickled cabbage/radish slaw, lots of very cold beer and guacamole.

A great way to feed a big crowd of happy people.

what do you think? I'd go back to the market and find those guys and ask them.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Carol

is is possible he said 'carnitas' but softened the 't' ??

lots of discussion on this way of preparing pork and lots of recipes: for me there's many ways of doing it,
not one single way.

use a big bone-in pork shoulder - we're not going for lean here. Or same amount (2lbs and up) of meaty country style ribs
(not spare-ribs) . Trim, render and save fat. which makes the great lard for biscuits and pie crust.
Keep pork in large pieces and simmer gently in a pot of spices, chilis, orange and lime juice, bay leaves,
multiple peeled garlic cloves (I use a whole head of garlic) 2 big onions, big handful of Mexican
oregano, at least one bottle of (made in Mexico only) Coke or Jarritos mexican cola, 2-3 cups of water.

If I have time I'll Marinate, then dry and brown the pork, then simmer pork in the marinade: the slow cooker is fine.
People have been known to BBQ these big cuts when they get tender, then chop, de-fat and reduce the cooking
liquid, return the pork to the liquid and try to hold people back. Some folks chop the meat roughly
then finish by frying it into crispy pieces. Here's a link:

http://the99centchef.blogspot.com/2013/03/20-tacos-carnitas-mexican-style-pork.html

Serve in fresh made tacos, pickled cabbage/radish slaw, lots of very cold beer and guacamole.

A great way to feed a big crowd of happy people.

what do you think? I'd go back to the market and find those guys and ask them.

Boy, that sounds similar to what they were describing, and the place where we were gathered was one of the few in town that does grass-fed pork. Neither gent appeared to be a Hispanophone, at least to my ears -- perhaps it was a different pronunciation or even a mispronunciation.

The farmer who had the particular table where we were all stopped is someone I know personally -- I was thinking about asking him if he knew them and what it was that they were cooking. I'll definitely ask the two men if I see them again. I'm a regular at the market, but I'm not sure if they are.

I've been doing some fruit marinades with my own pork -- right now I've got some country ribs soaking in a plum-apricot marinade. They are going in the slow cooker tonight! :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah -- I bet it was carnitas... I blanked on that one.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mystery solved!

I spoke to Farmer Wayne this evening and asked if he remembered the two gents or what they were cooking. Aedrasteia nailed it -- Wayne was not sure if he remembered who the two gents were, but he confident they were talking about Carnitas. The organization that puts the Farmer's Market together occasionally posts recipes online, and this week's recipe was for a twist on Carnitas that could be made by cooking pork shoulder with local crops such as garlic scapes, apples, and walla wallas. It also meant Wayne and his family have been selling pork like crazy :)

I think I know what I'll be making with next week's farmer's market haul ;)

Last edited:

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mystery solved!

I spoke to Farmer Wayne this evening and asked if he remembered the two gents or what they were cooking. Aedrasteia nailed it -- Wayne was not sure if he remembered who the two gents were, but he confident they were talking about Carnitas. The organization that puts the Farmer's Market together occasionally posts recipes online, and this week's recipe was for a twist on Carnitas that could be made by cooking pork shoulder with local crops such as garlic scapes, apples, and walla wallas. It also meant Wayne and his family have been selling pork like crazy :)

I think I know what I'll be making with next week's farmer's market haul ;)

Apples? in carnitas? seriously?

walla wallas?? I thought they were weird mammals? ... ok maybe as the protein part, but....

garlic scapes +

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Walla Wallas are sweet onions. Mild and flavorful but they don't make your eyes sting. Apples or applesauce with pork chops is fabulous, I think they could go well with other pork dishes as well -- at least for a New England interpretation. The farmer's market group tends to prefer locavorism over authenticity :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Walla Walla sweets are awesome. I could eat those like fruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest Discussions