Has anyone ever trained with Kettlebells before?

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My instructor the other day was showing us what he uses to core strength and strengthing fingers. Basically everything.

He showed us about 10 different moves with them and apartly their used all over the states.

Was just wondering if anyone else had used them before I dish out $110 a pair for a 50lb cannonball with a handle.

Here's a link of some guys trying them out....

http://www.ramsdentraining.com/specialized_training.html

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used them, mainly to strengthen my grip. A book you should read if you really get into this is "The Mighty Atom" by Ed Spielman it has got me doing feats that I would have never thought possible for myself

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kettlebells are an excellent tool for any type of athletic development. This is especially true for martial artists, I believe.

www.dragondoor.com

Any book on The Mighty Atom will be good.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would add the caveat: make sure you're already in somewhat good shape, first. I've seen guys in the gym get hurt, because they go into kettlebell training in marginal condition. Bells will challenge the heck out of you; be up to the challenge.

Good luck,

Dave

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jesse said:
My instructor the other day was showing us what he uses to core strength and strengthing fingers. Basically everything.

He showed us about 10 different moves with them and apartly their used all over the states.

Was just wondering if anyone else had used them before I dish out $110 a pair for a 50lb cannonball with a handle.

I use 'em. Not too hard to get by with one for a while though if your budget doesnt' like dishing out for two at once.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mate they were too pricey for me aswell so I did the next best thing and made one. I got onto a website (australiankettlebells.com or something like that) measured all the dimensions and built one to scale.
I went and talked to some crane drivers and one gave me an old headache ball, they're the things that hang on the crane lines to keep the line taught, then got some 1 1/4 inch rio bar, bent it to shape in a vice using old water pipe as a lever then arc welded the hell out of it.
It turned out awesome (even if I do say so myself), the only problem was I lent it to my brother in law then he split up from his missus ( my sister in law) and you guessed it took it with him in the settlement.
Havent managed to find another headache ball yet to make another.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has become a teacher of kettlebell training and
I am constantly amazed at how the kettlebell training has shaped
his shoulders and arms. He was always a big, fit, athletic guy who
lifted weights but now his muscles are quite a bit thicker and he is
in better shape. Several of my students have made it to his seminars
and they can not say enough good things about them.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Latest Discussions