Hapkido Uniforms

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is another similar thread in the TKD section. I am interested in hearing about your Hapkido uniforms. I have seen a wide variety, from white with black diamond stitching, black with white, diamond stitching, black with red diamond sttiching, black with yellow diamond stitching, plain white, plain black, light weight and heavy weight and mid weight. There are probably several that I missed.

If there is a universal "tradidtional" uniform what might it be? And what weight would be the best? Can you name brands and sources?

I tend to favor the white with black stitching in a heavy weight uniform. I think a mid to heavy weight black uniform might be the most comfortable and practical as a compromise, it would take more abuse and wouldn't get as dirty.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is another similar thread in the TKD section. I am interested in hearing about your Hapkido uniforms. I have seen a wide variety, from white with black diamond stitching, black with white, diamond stitching, black with red diamond sttiching, black with yellow diamond stitching, plain white, plain black, light weight and heavy weight and mid weight. There are probably several that I missed.

If there is a universal "tradidtional" uniform what might it be? And what weight would be the best? Can you name brands and sources?

I tend to favor the white with black stitching in a heavy weight uniform. I think a mid to heavy weight black uniform might be the most comfortable and practical as a compromise, it would take more abuse and wouldn't get as dirty.

Do a Google for Hapkido Uniforms..The choices are plentyful....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plentiful, yes, but with no feedback on their quality.

Sorry...The only one I own is made by Tigers Claw and endorsed by Grandmaster John Pellegrini of the Combat Hapkido Federation...Very well made...

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The one i have always seen as the most traditonal would be the white with diamond. The heavy weight one from Tiger claw is very well made I have not gotten one because I have not had the need for a new uniform ( I bought some right before it came out). I have had the heavy weight uniform from Golden Tiger that lasted me for 8 years. It was black with the red diamonds. I got that because red is my fav color. The only reason I dont wear it anymore is it is too small now.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

If you want to speak in historical traditional terms, Choi Dojunim wore a white dobok, when he wore one. Most are akin to Judo uniforms, many of which have a stitch that runs through them that is a tighter cotton than the rest of the fabric. When is type of uniform is washed, it can look like a diamond pattern.

The other "diamond" atterns seen so often are far more asscociated with a particular TaeKwonDo Kwan, Jido Jwan I believe, and are nothing really to do with Hapkido at all.

Best Martial arts, or Sang Moo Sa, seel a top quality single weave white judo uniform that is well suited for Hapkido. It is durable, reasonably priced, and they can add your dojangs name in embroidered letters to the back for $15.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Century has an excellent dobok. I use the Judo one, single weave heavy for hapkido and double weave heavy for judo. As a kid we only used Bear Brand. I swear they made the best dobok period end of story.

I still have a Bear Brand that I wear occassionally that is 14 yrs. old and in great condition.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Century has an excellent dobok. I use the Judo one, single weave heavy for hapkido and double weave heavy for judo. As a kid we only used Bear Brand. I swear they made the best dobok period end of story.

I still have a Bear Brand that I wear occassionally that is 14 yrs. old and in great condition.

Bear Brand still exists. You can get a new one if needed. http://www.bearbrandinc.com/Judo-Uniform_p_4-328.html

I used to go to their store (East West Market Exchange) in Chicago when I was in college. Excellent uniforms!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was presented with a white, diamond patern dobok from Dynamics when I began hapkido. I do have a white Tigerclaw dobok that I prefer and my old, non bleached dobok that I prefer even more.

Daniel

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We used to use the white, dimond pattern ones. But we just recently started a new hapkido class and we are using a mooto white gi with black trim. also trim around the cuff of the pant. I really like them (I think all mooto gear is great!) and the weight is good- solid, but not too heavy. We also got hapkido in chinese on the front left chest which I think looks really cool.
http://www.mooto.us/shop_itemDetail.asp?group_no=5378&productnum=5381

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I purchased a ProForce Hapkido Uniform. I like it. It is much heavier than a 7 oz. Taekwondo Uniform at 10 oz. It is not heavy and stiff like a 14 oz. uniform is and is a good compromise between the two extremes. It is comfortable, yet strong enough to take abuse and is good looking.

I will, eventually, try a couple of different uniforms for my own curiosity.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do any of you practice at a school, or have you seen any schools that use the aikido style dobok, i.e. a crossover top vented in the back (or not at all) with a hakama style pants?

Daniel

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We use white color or natural color Judo doboks. Depending on your choice we do single weave and double weave. We have many sources that we pull from but we love Bear Brand except they have gotten expensive. I think century is too over price too for what they offer. Bold Look make a good judo uniform and I have a natural tiger claw that fits nice.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My older son uses a Tigerclaw judogi, and it is on my list of to-buy items. Master Kim likes it and has remarked that it is better than the regular student dobok that we use.

Daniel

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I purchased a ProForce Hapkido Uniform. I like it. It is much heavier than a 7 oz. Taekwondo Uniform at 10 oz. It is not heavy and stiff like a 14 oz. uniform is and is a good compromise between the two extremes. It is comfortable, yet strong enough to take abuse and is good looking.

I will, eventually, try a couple of different uniforms for my own curiosity.

I know I'm months late to the thread but I like all of the ProForce stuff, ESPECIALLY the elastic waste pants they sell. No matter whether I'm doing Seido, TKD, Hapkido...If I'm in a MA uniform of some kind I'm wearing those ProForce heavyweight elastic waist pants. Sorry if that sounds like a commercial :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems to be (by this thread & a bit of looking around) that there's not much of a "standard" in Hapikdo uniforms except that they probably should be strong enough to be able to throw someone who's wearing one.

Is there a signicance to the diamond pattern style of Hapkido uniform? I've seen several diamond patterned doboks that seem too light weight to be used for grabs & throws.

Latest Discussions