Hapkido Terminology

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for Korean terminology as it applies to Hapkido. I am familiar with the Japanese terms, such as kote-gaeshi, ikkyo, nikkyo, irimi-nage, and such. If anyone can point me into the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Fortunately, my teacher knows what I am talking about when I refer to the techniques in their Japanese form, but it confuses the other students.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hiya Skip,

While Dusty has pointed out that great resource..I doubt that you'll find what you're looking for specifically.

Korean terminolgy,as I understand it, is usually codified according to method..not so much according to the individual technique contained within the method.

What I mean to say is that your Nikkyo(J. Kote Mawashi) and Sankyo(J. Kote Hineri) would find themselves lumped together under the very generic Korean heading "Sohn Mok Sool".

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hiya Skip,

While Dusty has pointed out that great resource..I doubt that you'll find what you're looking for specifically.

Korean terminolgy,as I understand it, is usually codified according to method..not so much according to the individual technique contained within the method.

What I mean to say is that your Nikkyo(J. Kote Mawashi) and Sankyo(J. Kote Hineri) would find themselves lumped together under the very generic Korean heading "Sohn Mok Sool".

Yeah,

I noticed the distinct difference between the terminolgy specific art of judo as opposed to generalizations of a set of techniques.....son mok soo, eui bok soo, kibon soo, etc.

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Skip,

Thanks Paul. This is exactly what I have experienced in Hapkido.

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
oops. i guess i should have read the full question. when i saw techniques, i thought punch, kick, etc. my bad.
Hey Paul. hows it going? you coming down to florida next weekend?

Latest Discussions