Hanshi Bruce Juchnik in Action on youtube

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a rare find as it is the only footage of Hanshi Bruce Juchnik on youtube, so, I thought I'd share it with my brothers and sisters on Martial Talk. I'm not sure how many of you have had the pleasure of seeing the Hanshi of Kosho Shorei Ryu in action.

Here you go!

_Don Flatt

[yt]NkQQMBSM8l8[/yt]

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. It's too bad it was mostly slo-mo demo and didn't include some stuff done at a faster pace, but very interesting nonetheless. thanks.

OP
Kosho Gakkusei

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. It's too bad it was mostly slo-mo demo and didn't include some stuff done at a faster pace, but very interesting nonetheless. thanks.

Agreed. Hanshi does alot more slow-mo so others can learn from it. The fast stuff hurts alot more too and usually all the observer gets out of it is, "What the heck did he just do?" Much of Kosho is based on borrowing the attacker's energy, so the harder and more agressive the attack, the more the attacker gets hurt. Even for those that are experienced at Ukemi, the positions that good Kosho causes you to fall in are difficult if not impossible to break the fall. In one day of a seminar, Hanshi may perform at most a dozen or so demos at speed and use alternating Uke's (victims).

_Don Flatt

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great clip! Thanks for posting!

Mike

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. Hanshi does alot more slow-mo so others can learn from it. The fast stuff hurts alot more too and usually all the observer gets out of it is, "What the heck did he just do?"
_Don Flatt

I figured as much, which is why I don't mean to sound like I am complaining. What I saw on the video was interesting, it just would have been even more interesting to see something at faster speed, that's all. But of course in a teaching scenario he needs to slow it down so people can understand what he is teaching them.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice piece of work, I would love to see faster motion though just for the effect.

OP
Kosho Gakkusei

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wish the clip showed some faster work too, but this is the only clip I've ever seen of Juchnik Hanshi on youtube. Whoever put this clip up took some shots at some seminars about 7 years ago.

It's very interesting when he speeds it up, the effect is pretty intense and the Uke can only take so much. I've also seen him have the attacker speed up but he maintains demo speed with the same devastating results. Unfortunately, I've never filmed him when I've gone to seminars and what not. I'm too busy trying to learn. I have a number of instructional DVDs and he speeds things up on most of them but there would be copywrite issues with posting those.

_Don Flatt

OP
Kosho Gakkusei

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They put another video of Hanshi up & this time you actually can hear about 1min worth of instruction.

_Don Flatt

[yt]My3aPQJDxGQ[/yt]

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is alway nice to see clips of those you hear so much about but have never seen in person

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Nice piece of work, I would love to see faster motion though just for the effect.

Hanshi used to carry around a picture in his wallet to show folks the pitfalls of doing the stuff at speed.
He told an uke to throw his 2nd punch slowly; because of the nature of the way kosho works, a lot of pressure is put on the legs, back and neck.
This gent threw the punch too fast and ended up with a compound spiral fracture of the tibia......it was gruesome.
I've been on the receiving end of the speedy stuff........I hurt for days afterward. I made sure the 2nd time I did it was at the end of the class so I could relax after getting hit.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
shawn bailey,
I have been to many Hanshi seminars over the past 3 years... I have seen the slow and fast of kosho Ryu kempo with hanshi working.

The slow is for safty and so you can see and feel what is going on... WOW
Factor always comes into play...

He is always looking to keep people safe... he has so much to share and I have punched in for Hanshi. It truly is a eye opening and Body hurting, life changing feeling...

Kosho

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shawn bailey,
I have been to many Hanshi seminars over the past 3 years... I have seen the slow and fast of kosho Ryu kempo with hanshi working.

The slow is for safty and so you can see and feel what is going on... WOW
Factor always comes into play...

He is always looking to keep people safe... he has so much to share and I have punched in for Hanshi. It truly is a eye opening and Body hurting, life changing feeling...

Kosho

It really is.......and for the folks that have never experienced it.....it looks kind of fake.
It's very real, and really easy to get hurt if you're not careful.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Donn Do you know who is posting them??? you can email me if need be
Kosho

OP
Kosho Gakkusei

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Steve -kosho,

I'm not sure whose responsible for the youtube posts. It seems to be a Kajukenbo practicioner from Puerto Rico named Nathaniel Ortega that's gone to a few Gatherings and had Hanshi come to Puerto Rico for a week. I don't see any kosho schools listed for Puerto Rico but this guy seems to view himself as teaching a kajukenbo based variation of kosho or a kosho influenced kajukenbo. He calls it Advanced Kajukenbo.

_Don Flatt

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Donn Thanks,
looks like My Seminar with hanshi juchnik will be moved to FEB 0f 2008. I will be talking with my students and then calling Hanshi Juchnik to set a date. I will post the new info later this week.

kosho