Hand to Hand MA

T

TKDman

Literally what is a good hand to hand Martial art. I am thinking of Kenpo Karate or Kung fu. Im thinking about something with a lot of intense hand strikes and blocks without too much focus on kicking.

Please sumbit a site with information about your MA.

Thanks

OP
E

Eggman

I got my junior black in TKD and just received my black in EPAK. My opinion is that you cant go wrong with kenpo. Ask me how many times i have used a jump spin crescent kick in a fight?

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by Eggman
I got my junior black in TKD and just received my black in EPAK. My opinion is that you cant go wrong with kenpo. Ask me how many times i have used a jump spin crescent kick in a fight?

How many? :rofl:

I study Chinese Kempo Karate, it incorporates various Chinese arts, Japanese arts, and Okinawin arts. I haven't been studying to long but it is definitely an in close quick striking art. We do mostly stand up fighting but some grappling and ground work. Personally I think it is a very good system and enjoy it very much. I especially like learning the Chinese side to it such as the 5 animal styles we use, Tiger, Leopard, Dragon, Snake, and Crane. Very interesting concepts and system.

:asian:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
How many? :rofl:

I study Chinese Kempo Karate, it incorporates various Chinese arts, Japanese arts, and Okinawin arts. I haven't been studying to long but it is definitely an in close quick striking art. We do mostly stand up fighting but some grappling and ground work. Personally I think it is a very good system and enjoy it very much. I especially like learning the Chinese side to it such as the 5 animal styles we use, Tiger, Leopard, Dragon, Snake, and Crane. Very interesting concepts and system.

:asian:

What does your phrase "DISCO STU DOESNT ADVERTIZE" mean!

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by DAC..florida
What does your phrase "DISCO STU DOESNT ADVERTIZE" mean!

It's a quote from the Simpson's character Disco Stu. :D

I'm pretty sure it was from the episode when Homer was selling a jacket that said "Disco Stu" on the back but was really supposed to say "Disco Stud" but he couldn't fit the rest of the letters.... or well letter. So Disco Stu comes along looks at it and then says he likes the jacket but "Disco Stu doesn't advertise".

So I guess I use it as a quote because I have a lot of really good quotes I know of as well as a lot of other people and I might mention that there are a lot on this site I like but I would rather just keep mine to myself. So Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

OP
K

KanoLives

BTW if I am wrong about the episode it came from I apologize I've seen them all so many times it's like one big episode to me. :) So if I am wrong someone please feel free to correct me.

OP
A

andurilking2

well boxing seems to be somewhat of what your looking for, if you want a more artistic form you might want to consider wing chung or go into iron fist training

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
BTW if I am wrong about the episode it came from I apologize I've seen them all so many times it's like one big episode to me. :) So if I am wrong someone please feel free to correct me.

Nope thats the one!

:roflmao:

OP
A

andurilking2

i feel left out i havent came up with a quote yet.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just left kenpo a few months ago and think that if hand strikes is really what you are after then that is the way to go. The strikes are many and the kicks are very straight forward and efficient. It's a great system and the students are encouraged (once they get a good grasp on the art) to make the art their own...i.e. do things a little differently than others so that it works best for you.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've never encountered Kenpo, but will put forward my recommendation of a good jujutsu school. If you find someone who teaches realistic jujutsu, then you will learn to deal with all sorts of situations (and you'll see just how hard it is to defend against weapons and multiple attackers!)

I have a grading tomorrow. Help!

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by TKDman
Literally what is a good hand to hand Martial art. I am thinking of Kenpo Karate or Kung fu. Im thinking about something with a lot of intense hand strikes and blocks without too much focus on kicking.

Please sumbit a site with information about your MA.

Thanks
Any martial art. When will people start learning that it's the school, the instructor, your training partners, and YOU who make something good. People who blame the art for their lack of ability... Really. Around what region do you live in?

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Eggman
And tell me how many combat oriented people regardless of style (includes TKD) use a jump spin crescent kick?

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by MartialArtist
And tell me how many combat oriented people regardless of style (includes TKD) use a jump spin crescent kick?

Van Damn :D