Haidong Gumdo Kyo Bon Review

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been a Gumdo practitioner for about a year now and am looking at purchasing the Kyo Bon. I know that it is 100% in Hangul, but I read Hangul (VERY slowly), so that isn't a problem.

I'm wondering if anyone else owns the book or has read it and can offer some reviews on its content?

Specifically, does it mirror what is currently being taught in the US/International curriculum?
Is it close to your school's curriculum?
What specific information does it include? I'm looking for more in depth documentation on stances and movement names.

Any reviews or information would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully there are still some other "Gumdo-ists" on MT!

Thanks!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Craig!

Yes, I own the book and have used it extensively. It goes over each motion in each form in SSGB, Yedo, jangbaeck, and I think one other set, plus two-sword techniques, chukdo sparring techniques, vocabulary, basic grips and stances, and exercises and etiquette to complement your study. It is extremely slow-going for us English-speaking folks, but with lots of time and some help from a few native speakers I have pulled out some gems from its details.

One thing you should know: HDGD Kyo Bon is the official textbook for the Hanguk HDGD Federation, so there are some minor details in the forms as explained in the book that differ from the forms as generally practiced by the Daehan HDGD Federation (the federation of which I believe your school is a member). Please keep that in mind as you study. AND, if you are going to invest in the book, you migh also consider investing in the 4-volume VHS video textbook. This shows the forms at speed and in slow motion, with additional details on sparring, basics, drills, and cutting.

Roger Lewis

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

How do I get a copy of the Haidong Gumdo Kyo Bon? Google and Bing searches have not been helpful. I live and work in Germany. I've been training at a German Haidong Gumdo dojang for a year and would like to study it more in depth. I too can read Korean, not well, but good enough. Any information on this book would be appreciated. Thanks.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a copy of Chong Bon Haidong Gumdo (all in Hangul) signed by both GM Kim Jeong-Ho and Master Kim Jeong-Woo. It would be nice if it were in English...