Guys who "fight" to defend girl vs Guy who genuinely concerned is for beloved females' safety

7BallZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A topic I found at AllExpert

Self Defense: Guys who "fight" to defend a girl vs Guy who genuinely is concerned for beloved females' safety-Is there a BIG DIFFERENCE?

Are too many young guys often looking for an excuse to fight someone when a girl is being harassed?

If someone was truly concerned about their sister being raped, would they have reacted before a stranger touched her?

Was the Mexican mentioned in the link really truly trying to protect the sister while the jock was simply trying to act all huff and tough to showoff before actually punching the bald man?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Teenage monkey-dancing for no particular reason.
I wouldn't go that far. Male Dominance Ritual exists for a reason. It may seem like a dumb reason, particularly in a Modern Social context, but it's there for a darn good reason.

Think of it as atavistic behavior. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Several times over the years my wife has had guys generously offer to "fight her husband/boyfriend" for her. Neither of us is entirely certain how beating the crap out of someone's significant other is supposed to endear that person to you. I mean, if another lady beat up my wife, I wouldn't exactly be enamored of her...

That said, no one has ever made her the offer when I was actually around, so I suppose it's one of those "promises you don't intend to keep" things, where it's the thought that counts...

It's not a solely teenage thing either. She'll be thirty in a few months.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Several times over the years my wife has had guys generously offer to "fight her husband/boyfriend" for her. Neither of us is entirely certain how beating the crap out of someone's significant other is supposed to endear that person to you. I mean, if another lady beat up my wife, I wouldn't exactly be enamored of her...

That said, no one has ever made her the offer when I was actually around, so I suppose it's one of those "promises you don't intend to keep" things, where it's the thought that counts...

It's not a solely teenage thing either. She'll be thirty in a few months.

No disrespect intended, but any age under 40 is essentially still a teenager where maturity counts. I'm not sure anyone's brains grow in until they're 45 or so.

;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK. So if random scumbag feels up your missus what do you do?

I mean yeah it is great to be forewarned and can get her out of the way if you could. But a random groping is going to be kind of hard to predict.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I mean yeah it is great to be forewarned and can get her out of the way if you could. But a random groping is going to be kind of hard to predict.

Last time that happened she ranked their wrist and he went off to dance with someone else. She has frequently mocked the very idea of getting in a full blown fight over something like that. I just asked her, "how would you feel about it if I beat up a random scumbag who randomly groped you?"

Her response was a sneer and, "That's just kind of... dumb. And a really disproportionate level of force. I'd just think you were dumb. I would much prefer if you said something horrible to the guy. A verbal beat-down, I'd be like, 'go you!' As much as I don't want someone to grab my butt, I don't want you to hurt some guy and end up in legal trouble. Besides, I know you, you have an acid tongue and your verbal beatdowns will leave him hurting longer than breaking his arm would..." (She kept ranting after that...)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are women such fragile creatures that we need 'protecting'? If groped, the woman likes to sort it in her own way, usually with a sharp tongue and a wounding comment, if they feel violence is needed I'm sure they can do it themselves. They can also report it to the police, to touch unasked for is assault, a grope is sexual assault. Leave it to the lady to decide on the course of action taken, her body after all.
This 'if your missus is groped what do you do' makes it sound like the woman is your property and you have to protect it, not thank you the woman will do well protecting herself, after all she does it a lot more than you imagine.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

let my wife deal with it. She will let me know if she needs me.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are women such fragile creatures that we need 'protecting'

Anyone with experience can defend their self. Though there will always be atleast one macho tough badass manly man that says "never fear the hero is here!"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience can defend their self. Though there will always be atleast one macho tough badass manly man that says "never fear the hero is here!"

Sadly women are more used to sexual harassment and even groping than most men realise, so we have a range of tactics to deal with it, violence usually being the last result. It starts at school in teenage years and goes on for many years.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly women are more used to sexual harassment and even groping than most men realise, so we have a range of tactics to deal with it, violence usually being the last result. It starts at school in teenage years and goes on for many years.
I'm always kinda surprised at what people think is appropriate to say to female officers when we are on calls together. My main partner is a woman and she's very attractive. People say some of the dumbest things to her they would never say to a guy

Sapphire

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just figure that this kind of thing won't happen if you're not at dirty bars and stupid dance clubs and other foolish places where this kind of thing would take place. Go to decent restaurants, don't go to parties where everyone plans on getting sloshed, and otherwise be clean people. I've been with my fiancée for 4 years before proposing and we've only once had any significant issue with someone disrespecting her body, and it has been since dealt with and honestly I barely remember the who/what/where/when of it all anyways. Besides, she's a nurse. Creepy old man patients grope her all the time and she can't do a thing about it besides give him a nickname for her coworkers to call him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just figure that this kind of thing won't happen if you're not at dirty bars and stupid dance clubs and other foolish places where this kind of thing would take place. Go to decent restaurants, don't go to parties where everyone plans on getting sloshed, and otherwise be clean people. I've been with my fiancée for 4 years before proposing and we've only once had any significant issue with someone disrespecting her body, and it has been since dealt with and honestly I barely remember the who/what/where/when of it all anyways. Besides, she's a nurse. Creepy old man patients grope her all the time and she can't do a thing about it besides give him a nickname for her coworkers to call him.

This one smells like the guy was a serial creep. Hence why defender no 1 had such an extreem reaction. He probably has got to a girl previously.

So that could have happened anywhere.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how often have you been groped? Are you saying this happens all the time? Not in my world.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well, first of all you have to be over 40 years old to even have the maturity to deal with this. At least that's what I'm told ;)