Gun Fu.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by SenseiBear
I browse this forum occassionally, but the styles I study aren't often given a ton of credence by Traditional CMA people, so I don't often speak up here.

What style do you study that is not widely credited by CMAist?

7sm

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My primary style is Gun Fu, but it is not a traditional Gung Fu, rather it is essentially a Mixed Martial Art (but that phrase has been co-opted by the octagon/no holds barred people, so I use Modern Conglomerate Style now)... We are a self defense oriented style that uses animal fighting styles. There are connections to Japanese, Korean and Chinese arts, but most terminology is english, and honestly, the Chinese connections are more tenuous... Some Hung Gar elements in some of our forms; Chinese Kempo Karate... But mostly (to my mind) is the animal style connections. Dragon, Bear, Tiger, Crane, Snake, Mantis, Panther... Those are the primary animals - but often when I have taken the trouble to explain where we are coming from the answer I get is "Oh, so you don't do REAL Kung Fu". (sigh) :rolleyes:

In addition I am a student of Kung Fu San Soo, which gets a little more of a nod, but is also a style that many CMAists haven't heard of... But at least it has a more verifiable connection to traditional Chinese arts...

And I guess I see their point to a degree, if you want to talk with Traditional CMA people, I may not have a ton to add to the conversation.

SB

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by SenseiBear
My primary style is Gun Fu, but it is not a traditional Gung Fu, rather it is essentially a Mixed Martial Art (but that phrase has been co-opted by the octagon/no holds barred people, so I use Modern Conglomerate Style now)... We are a self defense oriented style that uses animal fighting styles. There are connections to Japanese, Korean and Chinese arts, but most terminology is english, and honestly, the Chinese connections are more tenuous... Some Hung Gar elements in some of our forms; Chinese Kempo Karate... But mostly (to my mind) is the animal style connections. Dragon, Bear, Tiger, Crane, Snake, Mantis, Panther... Those are the primary animals - but often when I have taken the trouble to explain where we are coming from the answer I get is "Oh, so you don't do REAL Kung Fu". (sigh) :rolleyes:

In addition I am a student of Kung Fu San Soo, which gets a little more of a nod, but is also a style that many CMAists haven't heard of... But at least it has a more verifiable connection to traditional Chinese arts...

And I guess I see their point to a degree, if you want to talk with Traditional CMA people, I may not have a ton to add to the conversation.

SB

I have heard of San Sou, is that near the same as san soo? From what I understand its like a wrestling system with roots in traditional CMA? I don't care if your not "traditional CMA" or not, I just enjoy talking about CMA in general. I'm sure you would have much to add to any thread in this CMA forum.

7sm

T

Taiji fan

My Chinese isn't great, but isn't Gun the English for stick?

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
my chinese is terrible, in we primarily use english, followed by japanese and then korean in our terminology... chinese dialects are last.

When the founder named our style "Gun Fu", I think he was using an alliteration that sounded like Gung Fu, but was really english.

T

Taiji fan

I guess the thing with martial arts is that it is a bit like trying to re-invent the wheel. The arts have evolved over the decades and it does sometimes seem that if you are Chinese you can develop and progress a style, but if you are any other nationality....forget it...you are a fraud, a charlatan etc. Most styles seems to mix techniques that are 'borrowed' from other styles. My main art is Taijiquan, but for fun I decided to spend some time in a Koreean style and in all honesty it wasn't alot different. Watching some of the higher belts I would have said I was watching some real internal stylists. They paid alot of attention to body mechanics, like we do, timing and control, like we do and the only real difference was in the method of sparring...it was essentail kick and punch where taijiquan has more grabs and manipulation, throws etc. I would say it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it correctly.....maybe the term tradtional should be replaced by classical? :)

Latest Discussions