Ground Styles???

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a question?

What type of ground style or grappling do you study in Silat?

We mainly focus on Harimau.

What else is there?

Just curious?

Enoch :asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seigi said:
Here's a question?

What type of ground style or grappling do you study in Silat?

We mainly focus on Harimau.

What else is there?

Just curious?

Enoch :asian:

All of my Silat groundwork comes from Harimau, too. However, I've seen some groundwork from a monyet (monkey) system, too. I'm sure there are other ground systems aside from monkey and tiger (harimau or macan) - but those are the only ones that I've had any personal exposure to.

Mike

R

RHD

pesilat said:
All of my Silat groundwork comes from Harimau, too. However, I've seen some groundwork from a monyet (monkey) system, too. I'm sure there are other ground systems aside from monkey and tiger (harimau or macan) - but those are the only ones that I've had any personal exposure to.

Mike

OMG! There are people on this board! Unfortuately none of you are in Wisconsin. Too bad as I'm thoroughly interested in Indonesian MA's in particular Kuntao systems. But hey, keep on discussin' because this board has been way to slow.
Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RHD said:
OMG! There are people on this board! Unfortuately none of you are in Wisconsin. Too bad as I'm thoroughly interested in Indonesian MA's in particular Kuntao systems. But hey, keep on discussin' because this board has been way to slow.
Mike

LOL. Yeah, there's some people here :)

A couple of events you may be interested in - they're a little distant from you but maybe you're like me and willing to travel :) :
http://impactacademy.com/seminars/flyers/triple_impact/

The other is the Kuntao Silat de Thouars Family Gathering in Miami, FL on the weekend of July 30, 31, and August 1. I don't have any other details yet but if you e-mail [email protected] they should be able to provide more details or, at the very least, put you on their mailing list for updates as they become available.

Mike

R

RHD

pesilat said:
LOL. Yeah, there's some people here :)

A couple of events you may be interested in - they're a little distant from you but maybe you're like me and willing to travel :) :
http://impactacademy.com/seminars/flyers/triple_impact/

The other is the Kuntao Silat de Thouars Family Gathering in Miami, FL on the weekend of July 30, 31, and August 1. I don't have any other details yet but if you e-mail [email protected] they should be able to provide more details or, at the very least, put you on their mailing list for updates as they become available.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the seminar info. I wish I could say that I could go to one of them, but I've other commitments for this spring and summer. I hope to in the future attend some DeThouars seminars.
By the way, I've been to your website and like what I've seen. I'm a practitioner of Hung Gar, but I can deeply appreciate and draw many parallels to the Indonesian flavor. Just wish that there was some representation of those systems nearby.
Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RHD said:
Hi Mike, thanks for the seminar info. I wish I could say that I could go to one of them, but I've other commitments for this spring and summer. I hope to in the future attend some DeThouars seminars.
By the way, I've been to your website and like what I've seen. I'm a practitioner of Hung Gar, but I can deeply appreciate and draw many parallels to the Indonesian flavor. Just wish that there was some representation of those systems nearby.
Mike

Too bad you can't make either seminar. They'll both be pretty awesome.

Thanks for the kudos on the site. I like it. I need to do some updates to it - but such is life, no rest for the weary and all that :)

Mike

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Most of the ground training I've done is from Harimau as well.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While it is still Hari Mau, I train Maningkabau Hari Mau, which is a little different than the Hari Mau of Mande Muda. I have also seen video of Indonesian villagers at a festival wrestling. I forget the name of the village, but it was known for it's wrestling style.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
While it is still Hari Mau, I train Maningkabau Hari Mau, which is a little different than the Hari Mau of Mande Muda. I have also seen video of Indonesian villagers at a festival wrestling. I forget the name of the village, but it was known for it's wrestling style.

Oh yeah - that reminds me of another Silat system that Pak Herman was bringing out a little before he died. It might even be the same one you're talking about Lobo. Unfortunately, I forget the name of it. If I remember, I'll ask some of the Mande Muda folks I know who might remember. If I can remember it or find it out, I'll let you guys know.

I've seen a little Minangkabau Harimau, too - attended a seminar with Guru Richard Crabbe de Bordes (sp?). Good stuff :)

Mike