Greetings

Onyx

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading the Martial Talk forums for a while and, since I wanted to ask for some assistance, thought it would be a good time to introudce myself as well. I'm 29 years old and currently reside in Springfield, MO. As a teen I took Tae Kwon Do, reaching green belt, but was unable to continue when I moved to my father's house.

Since then I've wanted to get back into Martial Arts but have had a hard time. Seems I either have the time to do so and no money or no money and plenty of time. I did manage to to start training in Hap Ki Do last year when a friend from work started taking me with him to class which was held in his Master's garage. Unfortunately my work schedule got changed and I could no longer go.

Now a major drain on my income is gone so I can afford classes and am hoping that someone either lives or has lived around here that can point me towards a good school which will meet my needs.

Styles I'd be interested in learning: My primary interests are Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, one of the Russian styles(Sambo/Systema), or Hap Ki Do. Now the tricky part, my work schedule can change at any time and could be mornings/afternoon/evenings. I really would hate to have my work schedule change like it did when I was taking Hap Ki Do and have to drop out or find a new teacher. So a school that has multiple classes through the day would be a huge plus. There's also a transportation issue, as in I have none. My girl has a car but then I'm having to find classes around both her schedule and mine, which may end up conflicting. A school in Springfield would be great as it would allow me to take the bus.

I've looked around a bit on Google, though this has a couple of issues. First off, it seems that all the Jiu Jitsu schools around here are BJJ/MMA. Secondly, unless the teacher is obviously horrible, someone could invest a lot of time, not to mention money, learning garbage.

Latest Discussions