Greetings from a wandering martial artist!

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Osu! Hi everyone, as my thread title suggests, I've been bouncing around the United States for the last couple of years. As a result, I haven't been able to train in any single art consistently, but I've always trained wherever I've been for the last six years. Now that I'll be settling down in one place for the foreseeable future, I'm looking forward to putting down some roots and really getting proficient in one or two styles. It will be an honor and pleasure to converse with all of you as I begin this next stage of my journey!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Tavelin' Man. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome mate, and osu! (Good to see an osu :) ). Love to hear about your training adventures, and noticed you were born exactly 3 days after I was too hehe.

Enjoy your time here and don't be shy :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Osu! Hi everyone, as my thread title suggests, I've been bouncing around the United States for the last couple of years. As a result, I haven't been able to train in any single art consistently, but I've always trained wherever I've been for the last six years. Now that I'll be settling down in one place for the foreseeable future, I'm looking forward to putting down some roots and really getting proficient in one or two styles. It will be an honor and pleasure to converse with all of you as I begin this next stage of my journey!

Welcome aboard! What styles do you have in mind?

OP
Oni_Kadaki

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! What styles do you have in mind?

I'm actually undecided on that, and started a thread in the Japanese arts forum in order to get some input. I've studied Aikido for 6 years, but my wandering has also brought me to study Krav Maga, Shorin-Ryu Karate, American Kenpo Karate, BJJ, JJJ, and Tang Soo Do. The city I will be moving to has two JJJ schools, Aikido, and Karate, and the schools all seem good. I want to study two styles, and am trying to decide whether or not I should stop with consistent practice of Aikido in favor of the more immediately applicable karate and JJJ.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm actually undecided on that, and started a thread in the Japanese arts forum in order to get some input. I've studied Aikido for 6 years, but my wandering has also brought me to study Krav Maga, Shorin-Ryu Karate, American Kenpo Karate, BJJ, JJJ, and Tang Soo Do. The city I will be moving to has two JJJ schools, Aikido, and Karate, and the schools all seem good. I want to study two styles, and am trying to decide whether or not I should stop with consistent practice of Aikido in favor of the more immediately applicable karate and JJJ.

I think a pair of striking and grappling arts is where it's at.

OP
Oni_Kadaki

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think a pair of striking and grappling arts is where it's at.

Makes sense to me, the big question is whether the grappling art should be Aikido, which I have a more significant history with, or something more practical.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello!
giphy.gif