Great-grandmother earns black belt

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/717205.html
It's not about kicking tail, she says. Karate is discipline, a dance, a positive way of life. Attacks are a last resort.
"Part of the mind-set is you're not superior, you're helping someone else," she says. "You're sharing with someone else."
But why not just buy a can of mace for grandma's purse?
"Mace? What if you drop it?" she asks. "What if the person grabs it away from you and pokes it in your face?"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for her! she doesn't look her age and I'm sure thats a lot to do with keeping fit and a positive attitude that martial arts can give you.
Well done her!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for her! she doesn't look her age and I'm sure thats a lot to do with keeping fit and a positive attitude that martial arts can give you.
Well done her!

One of the black belts in my dojo is also 71, and he's been studying for ten years. He's very good, and a patient instructor. OK, his high kicks aren't so high, but then, neither are mine.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the black belts in my dojo is also 71, and he's been studying for ten years. He's very good, and a patient instructor. OK, his high kicks aren't so high, but then, neither are mine.

I can't do high kicks but then we do MMA and are taught high kicks unless very fast are easier to 'catch' and use for a takedown so I have my excuse!! I can do good MT thigh kicks though which I've seen win fights so us 'low kickers' will have the last laugh yet!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kudos to her!! There was an article in the last TKD Times that I read that mentioned an elderly couple who had started taekwondo at eighty three! They were greenbelts at the time of the article.

Daniel

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well done her!
It's exactly that, staying fit and having that positive attitude that keeps you looking younger. Maintaining her commitment to the art speaks volumes about her. Probably a sweet woman just don't mess with her.
Way to go great grandma!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the huge difference in tone between stories about blackbelts notable for their advanced age as compared to the typical article about a blackbelt who is notable for being of a very young age?

Notice that there's none of that cutesy crap of, "she's only nine years old, but you'd better not mess with her! She's a black belt." Then as you read the article, it becomes very apparent that the kid is has no real depth or maturity and really doesn't understand self defense. The instructor talks about how the kid is energetic and does her forms so spritely, and how she does in competitions with other nine year olds.

I can actually take this lady seriously as a practitioner and it is very evident the level of commitment she has, while the kiddie belts seem to just think that its fun and want another belt to add to their collection.

They talk about sports and fun. This lady talks about commitment, overcoming obstacles, and being able to defend herself in real life. The fact that she was able to get through what sounds like a very challenging test speaks volumes.

Daniel

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the huge difference in tone between stories about blackbelts notable for their advanced age as compared to the typical article about a blackbelt who is notable for being of a very young age?

Notice that there's none of that cutesy crap of, "she's only nine years old, but you'd better not mess with her! She's a black belt." Then as you read the article, it becomes very apparent that the kid is has no real depth or maturity and really doesn't understand self defense. The instructor talks about how the kid is energetic and does her forms so spritely, and how she does in competitions with other nine year olds.

I can actually take this lady seriously as a practitioner and it is very evident the level of commitment she has, while the kiddie belts seem to just think that its fun and want another belt to add to their collection.

They talk about sports and fun. This lady talks about commitment, overcoming obstacles, and being able to defend herself in real life. The fact that she was able to get through what sounds like a very challenging test speaks volumes.

Daniel

Excellent observation!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought too and I want to put this politely lol, that she looks like a lady you just don't mess with! she looks tough!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just noticed the name of the dojo. Bakersfield Fajukan Karate-do, based at Second Amendment Sports. In Kalifornia, yet. Yeah, baby!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't do high kicks but then we do MMA and are taught high kicks unless very fast are easier to 'catch' and use for a takedown so I have my excuse!! I can do good MT thigh kicks though which I've seen win fights so us 'low kickers' will have the last laugh yet!

This reminds of something a golfer once said to me 'driving is for show, but putting is for dough'
Everybody likes to see the long drives and the fancy swings. But that is not where the points are usually made. Same with high kicks and low kicks.

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think that is awesome that she has earned he black belt at that age. Ha if we have any Seinfeld fans in here, Jerry should be happy he didn't steal her bread.

Latest Discussions