Gracie Kids Bullyproof

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through the introduction of this method and was pretty impressed with what they had to say.

While a lot of it's parenting 101, it had a lot of aspects that can easily get lost in day to day life, and having something like this with your kids helps keep things consistent and has structure.

My 8 yo daughter is keen to start the Gracie Games, so I'm hoping it will help build her confidence and she may move on to actual instruction at a school. Not sure what I think of the belt ranking system part, but don't think it's an important aspect other than giving them goals.

Anyway, it looks like fun for kids.

Has anyone had a look\participated or has an opinion on the curriculum for Gracie Kids?

GRACIEKids.com - Bullyproofing the world one child at a time.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen the videos, and I'd say my opinion of it is similar to the rest of the Gracie University stuff. It's probably the best out there in it's market. BUT, and this is a massive "but", it will never compare to getting into a good school and training there.

A big part of the benefits of martial arts training simply cannot be taught at home by the parents. Being in a class, with instructors that are not the kids parents in a group of peers is not something that you can duplicate at home. Now if those things come from other places and this is a parent / child thing at home great, rock on. But it's like playing soccer in the back yard with your kid vs having your kid join a soccer team with a coach and other kids. Both are good, just very different experiences for the child.

I think your best approach is to get them involved in the martial arts at a school, reenforce the drills, techniques and lessons of that school at home. If it happens to be a Gracie Academy school then do those, if the best school around for kids happens to be TKD instead then that's great too.

The problem with the Gracie stuff IMO is it stresses there way as the only way and that doing there way at home by yourself is almost preferable to someone else way in a school if you can't join one of their licensed schools. There are many ways to teach and benefit from martial arts training, a good school of any style beats at home training and a good school of any style where the parents are involved in the childs training beats everything.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but my approach with this is not for them to learn a martial art as such or think it's a substitute for it or considered training, but to get exposure to rolling around and being comfortable with it. We wrestle as it is already, I have a 10yo son as well. They both have no interest or focus currently for actual classes, so I'm purely in it for the confidence building if it takes off, and the games. And if they are attracted to learning a MA they can, I can only hope.

I see it like your analogy, my son is soccer mad and we have nets and practice markers etc. through the house I help coach him with. Is low level, basic but effective... I leave the tricky, team focused stuff to his actual team coach.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one very big concern, I was looking to see what was available in the UK. Clicked on their link to the school in Wolverhampton and I could see the names of everyone of their child students along with their ages. In the UK we have to abide by legal constraints over giving such information out, it's a safeguarding protocol because it's really not a good idea to give anyone access to that information. I wouldn't want my children's details on a website for everyone and anyone to read. You don't have to log in, it's just there. I checked through several of them and they are the same, only two, one in Japan and one in the Philippines doesn't carry these details.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one very big concern, I was looking to see what was available in the UK. Clicked on their link to the school in Wolverhampton and I could see the names of everyone of their child students along with their ages. In the UK we have to abide by legal constraints over giving such information out, it's a safeguarding protocol because it's really not a good idea to give anyone access to that information. I wouldn't want my children's details on a website for everyone and anyone to read. You don't have to log in, it's just there. I checked through several of them and they are the same, only two, one in Japan and one in the Philippines doesn't carry these details.

Yeah, that seems like a bad idea. I'm surprised no one has raised the issue with them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that seems like a bad idea. I'm surprised no one has raised the issue with them.

Just emailed them so will see if I get a reply. The Data Protection Act is quite strict about what can and can't be held by companies, groups and charities etc let alone what can be published. It affects certainly the UK schools but just not a very good idea at all.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a few days in, and the kids are nuts to keep playing these games. Even my son has joined in, I've stuck to the guidelines they said was important to keep to and keeping them hungry for more.

I'll update again in a week or two to see if their interest is maintained or is just a new thing to them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received a polite reply from them. I'm not sure they realise that the clubs in the UK listing the names are still breaking the law but I guess that's will have to be up to them.

"Hello Irene,

We appreciate your concern and apologize for the delay in response. We wanted to check on the requirements.

In this case the parents are voluntarily joining and adding their children’s names to be listed. The reason for the listing is to recognize the children for their accomplishments. It is something they look for and is a part of achieving a belt rank in martial arts.

There is no address listed, no contact information, and nothing that in any way could put the child in danger. It is nothing other than a recognition of their having attained a rank.

Gracie Bullyproof Support Team"

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The DPA in the UK is driven by wider EC legislation too, so the same rules would apply all over the EU.

The data does fall within the scope of the act, too, as it refers to identifiable living individuals who can be identified from the name plus other information held by the data controller.

It's also not allowed for them to communicate the information from the EU to countries outside the EU without similar data controls in place.

Basically, they are making a bit of a hash of it, but they're not the only ones as far as Data Protection is concerned.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Girl Guide leader and we have to be very careful about data on the girls and what we keep, it's not just on computers either but hard copy too.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, any relevant filing system is in scope, including handheld devices and notebooks. People, especially big companies, like to make it more complicated than it really is. It's really a common sense approach to not processing or storing information without good reason and not making someone's data publicly available without their express permission.

Unfortunately the DPA also makes a great hiding place for jobsworths and bureaucrats...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been checking up things. In the UK Child Protection law says that only the first name should be used for a child under 18, even with a parent's permission. I've emailed them back but I don't think I will get an answer this time.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious now, which part of the UK Act is it? Also, I wonder if it applies to servers held off shore (to UK).

Just saw your reply above.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Curious now, which part of the UK Act is it? Also, I wonder if it applies to servers held off shore (to UK).

Just saw your reply above.

Not sure what you are asking, and to whom?

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking, and to whom?

Was taking a look at the ACT but couldn't search the content for 'children'. Curious as to the acts verbiage so was hoping someone would link the section.

As I wrote it, Tez replied with the naming standard for children details. I wonder if there are similar conditions for AU as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was taking a look at the ACT but couldn't search the content for 'children'. Curious as to the acts verbiage so was hoping someone would link the section.

As I wrote it, Tez replied with the naming standard for children details. I wonder if there are similar conditions for AU as well.

I imagine there is, authorities are getting pretty clued up with data protection and children with all the online bullying and grooming that has been going on. We also have the Telecommunications Act, which is an old one brought up to date which makes it an offence to threaten and abuse people online now, before it was just by telephone.
Even as a martial arts club we have to be careful what information we keep and how long we keep it for now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did get an answer, it was link to a Daily Mail article about an American boy who wrote to someone famous! They asked how this was allowed. I pointed out it was an American story about an American child that had been repeated by the Daily Mail ( who will say it was in the public domain anyway and they thought it was alright) which being them was unlikely to be true anyway. As the holders of information their UK schools had to comply with the law here. I think I may just pass this all onto a 'relevant' authority to be honest. As a parent I wouldn't put my child's name on a publically seen website, it isn't even password protected. It is far too easy to trace these children if you have their full names and town they live in.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the problem with being bullyproof, you can get in trouble for properly taking care of a bully.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the problem with being bullyproof, you can get in trouble for properly taking care of a bully.
It includes strategies for the kids to take with bullys. With physical restraint being the absolute last option.

It even covers getting in trouble defending yourself. I've always told my kids they will not get in trouble at home for defending themselves or their friends from a bully, even if they do at school.

They teach more patience than I do.