Gracie Jiu Jitsu Politics

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the interview of Helio that comes with the http://gracieacademystore.com/store/ instructional videos? Helio mentions that one of Carlson's sons are selling instructor certifications with videos. I couldn't understand the name, because it is said quickly. Does anyone know who this is?

EternalSpringtime

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe at one time that Carlson Gracie Jr. was selling videos and certifcates. (though I am not 100% sure)

This is really annoying. BJJ was popularized through the whole Gracie family. Including Carlos and his son Carlson. Now this selling certificates issue might be true ( I have no idea), but that doesn't give Helio the right to say it in a public manner. Martial Arts is about learning from each other, rather than spending time demeaning lineages and systems.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is really annoying. BJJ was popularized through the whole Gracie family. Including Carlos and his son Carlson. Now this selling certificates issue might be true ( I have no idea), but that doesn't give Helio the right to say it in a public manner. Martial Arts is about learning from each other, rather than spending time demeaning lineages and systems.

Absolutely!

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the interview, Helio said that it was HIS jiu jitsu(not carlson who only taught japanese jujutsu) that revolutionized the martial arts, not the Gracie family. He said HE taught Carlson's sons but they broke away from him for "convenience and other reasons"