Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100215/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall_us

Gov't: 34 deaths alleged in Toyotas since 2000
By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Ken Thomas, Associated Press Writer – Mon Feb 15, 5:15 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Complaints of deaths connected to sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles have surged in recent weeks, with the alleged death toll reaching 34 since 2000, according to new consumer data gathered by the government.

And there were increased complaints about the Prius Brakes as well.

Complaints to a database maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the popular Toyota Prius hybrid grew by nearly 1,000 in just over a week.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did understand that, but 24 out of 8 million is what, .0004%?
My only point is, yes there is a risk, but there is no reason to panic.
Toyota has issued recalls, fixes are in the works and they have stated that they expect at least 70% fix rates shortly.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Toyota has issued recalls, fixes are in the works and they have stated that they expect at least 70% fix rates shortly.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Bob,

Yes there are risk with all systems and you try to get them as small as possible.

The numbers are 34 Deaths in the US report and believed to be from the Unintended Accelerations.

The 8 million units is world wide and not USA.

Last year the total market was about 10.5 million units in the USA and that was down from a high of 17.7 million units. So if Toyota sold 8 million Units last year they would have sold over just under 80% of all cars sold last year. That is not correct.

Yes I work for a Non Toyota Automobile company, But I do not like to see people at risk. I do not like to see people hurt at all. As I am sure that Toyota and their employees do not either.

But as I pointed out, GM and Ford and Chrylser have had gerater inspection and greater lawsuits so they do things differently some called in the past a waste. But it might have been safer. All companies ahve made msitakes and take actions to correct them. But the perception of Toyota being perfect is something I dislike.

If you had two kids, and only checked to see if one kid brushed his teeth and only took that same kid to the dentist and had them checked for caveties and you punished the kid for caveties how does it look to outsiders or those involved? It looks like their is unfair play and favorites. If you only check one company and not the other than how can the one not checked be called out for any mistakes? They cannot as none will be found as the are not checked.

The number of people who increased their complaints on the Prius went up 1000 last week. they do not sell that many of those vehicles compared to other models. That is a lot of complaints. This means that lots of people did not know to complain or who to complain too. Also NHTSA and EPA and other Fed agencies gather data from State and local and other databases for their findings. If those databases are not reporting the issues because people all go it is only one do not worry about it then none get reported and you end up with a bigger mess than it should have been.

The question is when did Toyota know there was a problem and what did they do about it. That might be the telling issue with the legal suits to follow.

PS: I did a google search on Toyota Recalls and this site was note in the first five pages. I say this as I am not after anyone but to get information out to people and to let them know that their previous perceptions were or might have been in error.

Latest Discussions