Government take over of the Kukkiwon?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of this past weeek nothing, I know they want to take it over but nothing as of this moment or this one or this one. Man to many moments.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
During our trip to Korea, our delegation met with one of the Assembly men from the Korean government. We presented to them a petition signed by the 85 people from our group, who represented 13 different countries. All of them agreeing that government take over of the KKW would result in huge loss in people's support of the KKW.

Currently it is still in debate, but if enough people voice their concerns to the Korean government that their take over of KKW would result in a huge exodus from the organization, I believe they will back off.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could someone explain what the problem would be with a government takeover? The KKW is not a democratic organization currently already, correct? And by the accounts I've read, the KKW has historically enjoyed financial backing from the government in Seoul.

Not sure why this changes anything. Thoughts?

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, for me, I really don't like government involvement in much of anything. I feel that once governement is involved the people making the decisions will no longer be people who have a vested interest in improving the organization for the orgs sake. There are so many more opportunities for the org to be used for other things when the government is making the decisions. Now, you may argue that the people in charge now aren't doing a good job. I am sure there are always scandals, especially when you are talking about money, but I just think that actual TKD masters are going to have a better chance of running the Kukkiwon in the way I would agree with than government officials.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got the word that some high up officials here... were reluctant to send in thier apps, cause they were afraid they would not get the certs... and these are peolple who are "up" there... said its not looking good right now. no president of kukkiwon.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got the word that some high up officials here... were reluctant to send in thier apps, cause they were afraid they would not get the certs... and these are peolple who are "up" there... said its not looking good right now. no president of kukkiwon.

So why is GM Lee the "acting" president and not "the" president?
It would be nice to know what is really going on- did anyone go on the USTC Korea tour? I am sure you were given a lot of propaganda that everything is great, but did anyone get any real info? Or does anyone else have any real info?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
woon kyu uhm is still on the certs.... at least as of Oct.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
woon kyu uhm is still on the certs.... at least as of Oct.

Right. During the Foreighn Instructor's Course in Chicago (late October) GM Lee was installed as the new KKW head. With all the other things we've been hearing I'm trying to assess whether that is still the case.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
According to Taekwondo-net Digest, those who went on the USTC Korea Tour over the last couple weeks met GM S.W. Lee (same as Jidokwan) as the acting president and they even got him to sign some Kukkiwon cititation they were given. So it seems this is still the case right now.
(sounds like a good trip- anyone here go?)

PS: 1,000th post
icon10.gif

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lauren,
there have been some detailed posts on another forum. The one recurring theme I hear is that there seems to be a subltle mission. I could be wrong but my impression is that this trip and the other couple that I know of have been to promote the new TKD park.
I know of one other Masters Conference that like this trip gathered top players and used the event to promote the park and another trip for just the top Koreans.
In all cases the mission sounds like get ready for this new park it will be the new center.
Almost like they are prepping everyone for the switch.

Dave O.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lauren,
there have been some detailed posts on another forum. The one recurring theme I hear is that there seems to be a subltle mission. I could be wrong but my impression is that this trip and the other couple that I know of have been to promote the new TKD park.
I know of one other Masters Conference that like this trip gathered top players and used the event to promote the park and another trip for just the top Koreans.
In all cases the mission sounds like get ready for this new park it will be the new center.
Almost like they are prepping everyone for the switch.

Dave O.

My master went on the trip, and they did in fact visit the future site of the park in Muju city. I believe they also went to the headquarters for the Taekwondo Promotion Foundation.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
According to Taekwondo-net Digest, those who went on the USTC Korea Tour over the last couple weeks met GM S.W. Lee (same as Jidokwan) as the acting president and they even got him to sign some Kukkiwon cititation they were given. So it seems this is still the case right now.
(sounds like a good trip- anyone here go?)

PS: 1,000th post
icon10.gif
I went and it was an excellent trip. I have my citation signed by KKW President Lee. :) Plus a chance to meet Dr. Kim in person but above all it was a blast meeting people from all over the world. We had 85 people representing 13 different countries there.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got back from Houston and was told that it is all up in the air and nobody knows what the hell is really going on. Sad thing is we sit here and wait.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i wonder if we should even send in for certs? dont see why not... but it makes u leary. one thing I have learned.... they dont like to be to open with whats going on. Keep it all in the house kindof thing even if the house is on fire and everyone knows it.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dont know who reads it.... but i got this months issue of tkdtimes today. in it, it has a blip about the "taekwondo park" that "will house the world taekwondo academy", designated by the WTF, scheduled to open in 2013. It does not specifically say the name "Kukkiwon". Only world taekwondo academy. Thought that was strange.

oh... $185 million to build.... mine and yours cert fees at work.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok so 85 people went and got a citation... for what? Did they even know who you are? Its the same reason Kukkiwon certificates have come to mean little. They GIVE them to EVERYONE!!!

I went and it was an excellent trip. I have my citation signed by KKW President Lee. :) Plus a chance to meet Dr. Kim in person but above all it was a blast meeting people from all over the world. We had 85 people representing 13 different countries there.

Latest Discussions