Good Modern Arnis in Western Washington?

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My brother recently has become interested in Filipino MA and asked me what I thought about them. I told him I liked them, particularly Modern Arnis. I'm looking for a school/schools he might look at in our area. He lives in Covington, south of Seattle. I think Hufana had a good recommendation here somewhere. There's an affiliate school in Bellevue and maybe Issaquah. The website lists one instructor in Issaquah. I couldn't tell if it was saying there's a school there or he lives there. That would probably be the closest to my brother. Does anyone know about this particular school?

Thanks, Jon

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Hufana is an excellent choice! I've met him at camps. Great teacher, great martial artist, great guy.

OP
SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. That's good to know. Being in between styles, if this worked out for him I might give it a shot as well. It might freak me out to step away from Chinese styles but it would be fun to train with my brother.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The FMAs have a smooth, fluid movement that a CMAer will likely find appealing, and they work well with other arts anyway.

OP
SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've noticed that. The empty hand stuff almost has a southern praying mantis meets wing chun quality-which appeals to me. Plus its impossible to find a negaive opinion of Guro Hufana.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wing Chun meshes extremely well with the FMAs! I've done both and know others who have also and it's a quite common opinion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, I'm down here in Covington, too. There was a guy who taught both TKD and Arnis in the Kent/Covington area, but it's been 3 years since I've talked to him. I can't remember his name and don't even know if he's still around. (real helpful, I know!)

I did find this http://www.seattlemodernarnis.org/

chris arena

Green Belt
Reaction score
Check out Datu Kelly S. Worden. www.kellyworden.com

His home gym is in Tacoma and we have some great seminars on a regular basis. Strong emphasis on Modern Arnis and Pre JKD modified wing chun. Datu Kelly was the Professor's highest ranking American Student.

ps. Check his website. We have a great Sibat staff and cane seminar coming up on April 11th. Great way to stop by and meet the tribe.

Chris A

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great instructor, Master Hufana has been instructing in modern arnis for many, many years in the Seattle area. You can't go wrong with choosing his studio.

Latest Discussions