Good, Cheap drawing program for windows?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My son, unlike me, is very artistic. He's even done amazing things with MS Paint... Can anyone recommend a good, and inexpensive drawing program I could get for him?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Paint.net (getpaint.net) is also a free raster graphics program that will run on Windows. I like it.

If you have an old machine you don't mind throwing Linux on, there is an entire universe of high quality software for artists available like Inkscape (vector graphics - some use instead of Adobe Illustrator) and Blender (3D rendering). Check out http://www.artistx.org/site3/Table/2D-Graphic/ for an idea of what is available.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to let him do? Edit and work on pictures? Draw from scratch? Engineering-type diagrams?

Google Sketch-Up is free, or at least a version is; it's a drawing program that can do some 3-D stuff, too. I'm still fumbling through with figuring it out, though. GIMP is more of a Photoshop-like image editor.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Draw from scratch. He's 15 now, and some of the stuff he's done is just amazing.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can any of you here, or Big Don's son, recommend a program for a kid just getting started? My 13yo daughter is interested in art and graphic design. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to help her with it. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions for getting her on the right path for learning online drawing.

Am I correct in the assumption that she should start with basic shapes, colors, etc. and then expand into more complicated things? We do homeschool, so I have the liberty of assigning anything I deem pertinent to work on. I would like to find a comprehensive flow chart, for lack of a better term, of the skills she should develop. She has done a fair amount of 2D drawing with pencils, charcoal, pastels, markers, etc. We hired a retired art teacher last year to tutor her in this area since I am in over my head.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might be able to share.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can any of you here, or Big Don's son, recommend a program for a kid just getting started? My 13yo daughter is interested in art and graphic design. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to help her with it. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions for getting her on the right path for learning online drawing.

Am I correct in the assumption that she should start with basic shapes, colors, etc. and then expand into more complicated things? We do homeschool, so I have the liberty of assigning anything I deem pertinent to work on. I would like to find a comprehensive flow chart, for lack of a better term, of the skills she should develop. She has done a fair amount of 2D drawing with pencils, charcoal, pastels, markers, etc. We hired a retired art teacher last year to tutor her in this area since I am in over my head.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might be able to share.

Books:
Dummies guides. Easy reads, will cover basics fast.

Software:
Manga Studio to start with. Progress to Photoshop & Illustrator when budget allows and interest level justifies. Corel Painter also for the "polish".

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might I suggest Alchemy? Its a Free Drawing and Sketching Program I use all the time.
It takes some getting used to but.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Give a chance to GIMP. It's not only editor. You can draw with it too. And it's free.

Latest Discussions