Goju Kai

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me anything about Goju Kai
What are its strenghts and weakness, what is the emphasis of the art and is there many people practicing.
Any help would be appreciated.

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Goju Kai is the association founded by Gogen Yamaguchi . He was a direct student of the founder of Goju Ryu , Chojun Miyagi Sensei . He was also given permission by Miyagi Sensei to lead Goju Ryu on the mainland , & credited to introducing Jiyu Kumite (free sparring) into Karate . The Goju Kai stresses various types of kumite , along w/ Kata , bunkai , & a set of kihon , or basics called Kihon Ido . It differs from OKinawa Goju Ryu , in that they do very lil' Hojo Undo , & kakie in comparison to that of practiced in Okinawa . However their system is very structured , & is currentlly lead by Goshi Yamaguchi .
There is another group called the JKF Goju Kai , which is lead by a panel , I believe . Koshin Iha Sensei , the former chief instructor of The Okinawa Goju Ryu Karate Do Kyokai-Jundokan , is now part of this group , & is working hard to implement the OKinawan teachings of his teachers Eiichi Miyazato Sensei , & Miyagi Chojun into The JKF Goju Kai .
I hope this answers some of your questions , if I can help you further , please let me know .

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goju has really splintered. There are so many Goju organizations out there! I did the Shobukan organization's version for a while.

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that, all in all, the Goju groups have managed to maintain some consistency and high standards across the boards better than many of the traditional organizations. Most of the Higaonna (IOGKF) and Yamaguchi associated schools I have visited, and the students from them that visit my dojo, have good karate and good manners. Wado also has done well, and Uechi ryu.

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
okinawagojuryu said:
The Goju Kai is the association founded by Gogen Yamaguchi . He was a direct student of the founder of Goju Ryu , Chojun Miyagi Sensei . He was also given permission by Miyagi Sensei to lead Goju Ryu on the mainland , & credited to introducing Jiyu Kumite (free sparring) into Karate . The Goju Kai stresses various types of kumite , along w/ Kata , bunkai , & a set of kihon , or basics called Kihon Ido . It differs from OKinawa Goju Ryu , in that they do very lil' Hojo Undo , & kakie in comparison to that of practiced in Okinawa . However their system is very structured , & is currentlly lead by Goshi Yamaguchi .
There is another group called the JKF Goju Kai , which is lead by a panel , I believe . Koshin Iha Sensei , the former chief instructor of The Okinawa Goju Ryu Karate Do Kyokai-Jundokan , is now part of this group , & is working hard to implement the OKinawan teachings of his teachers Eiichi Miyazato Sensei , & Miyagi Chojun into The JKF Goju Kai .
I hope this answers some of your questions , if I can help you further , please let me know .

Thanks for the info.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did a little Goju-Kai when I was in high school. They have much more Kata than Goju-ryu of Okinawan, they have for example Ten Ni No Kata, Shiho Uke Kata etc which does not exist in Okinawan Goju-ryu. When I switch to Okinawan Goju, we do just the 11 recognized Kata of JKF (Sanchin, Saifa, Sesan, Tensho etc). Also the Goju-Kai people does their JKF Kata a little differently with Goju-ryu (this may vary according to dojo/senseis). But in essence Goju-Kai and Goju-ryu has many similarities too. Let's say they are just two different views of a same art.

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard of Ten Ni No Kata, or Shiho Uke Kata , in Goju Ryu . Are you sure your instructor didnt teach you a mix of something . Also within traditional Goju Ryu there are 12 Kata , 13 if you do both the Higashionna & Miyagi versions of Sanchin , not 11 .

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
It may be used in some Dojo that incorporated it from another style , but there is no Ten No Kata in traditional Goju Ryu , or the Goju Kai for that matter .
Within traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu these are the base kata :
Gekisai Dai Ichi
" " NI
Sanchin
Saifa
Seiunchin
Shisochin
Sanseiru
Seipai
Kurarunfa
Seisan
Suparinpei
Tensho
Within the Goju Kai , as taught by the Yamagughi family they've added 10 Taikyoku : Jo Dan Ichi & NI , Chu Dan Ichi & Ni , Ge Dan Ichi & Ni , Kakie Uke Ichi & Ni , and Mawashi Uke Ichi , & Ni . They also have family Kata , which are taught only to those Roku Dan , & up , like Chikaku & Genkaku , not to be confused w/ Gankaku taught within Shotokan .
Some Dojo , like the Meibukan have added a few training kata to the syllabus , however the above are the base , anything else is extra taught by your instructor .

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in the Shobukan org. of Okinawa, and we started off with the (very boring) Ten No kata. THeir website doesn't list it though!

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
okinawagojuryu said:
I've never heard of Ten Ni No Kata, or Shiho Uke Kata , in Goju Ryu . Are you sure your instructor didnt teach you a mix of something . Also within traditional Goju Ryu there are 12 Kata , 13 if you do both the Higashionna & Miyagi versions of Sanchin , not 11 .
Well it could very well be!! I don't train with my Goju-Kai instructor anymore, so I cannot clarify this with him. I think it's suffice to say that each groups have their own Kata.

This is the list that I got from my last Goju group (after I left Goju-Kai).

Gekisai 1
Gekisai 2
Sanchin
Sesan
Seienchin
Saifa
Seipai
Sanseru
Shisochin
Suparinpei
Kururunfa
Tensho

Oh you are right, there are 12 Kata. Sorry, I must have forgotten that there are two Gekisai. :D

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, I also have seen and practiced a Hakaku Kata, but I guess this is not Goju but Shito-ryu..

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hakaku , from what I remember is not a Goju Kata , but a crane kata . It may be something extra your instructor taught you , as it is not part of the base system . I'd love to see it though , do you have any footage of it ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I learned it, it was a series of techniques done in a repetitive manner. First a lunge punch on the right; back to a natural stance, repeat on the left. Back to a natural stance, another technique on each side. And so on, through ten or so techniques. It hardly deserved to be called a kata. It was more like a training exercise.

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look it up, or ask someone in a Japanese art what it means. While you are researching, look up "hammering down the nail."

Latest Discussions