GM Remy Presas Clips

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello,

surfing the net it orccured to me, that there are almost no video clips of Professor Remy Presas on YouTube or somewhere else.
I don't mean Cilps form the videos or DVDs he produced, but clips from seminars or private training, that someone might have taken.

I would find it really great, if one could motivate Modern Arnis player, that have such footage, to put some of it online for people, who have never met the Professsor get an idea, how he moved and how he taught.

Anybody out there with some clips?

Regards

Dieter

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have some on VHS. Not a lot, but some. There is no way I will have the time to transfer them to DVD or to the computer, at least not for the next 6 months. I know that people must have clips because I was encouraged to film the seminar portion when I hosted him. I didn't get any footage of private sessions, unfortunatily. I didn't even own a camera back then (had to use someone elses)! :)

The other thing is, while he was alive, it was unfortunatily easy to take it for granted. It never occured to me at the time that he might pass away as soon as he did. So, it didn't really occur to me to collect a lot of video on him.

But I am sure some people have some stuff out there...

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't recall if video taping was even allowed at the seminars that I attended (1998 - Aug 2000).

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't recall if video taping was even allowed at the seminars that I attended (1998 - Aug 2000).

It depended on who was doing the taping and the situation. Professor was very concerned about footage being used for commercial use or otherwise against his will, so he used a very tight control over who could tape and who couldn't. If he was confident that taping was going to be used only for training or personal purposes, he would let some people tape under certain circumstances. I was able to, but then again I was not walking around with a camera all the time (didn't even own one). I know a lot of others were able to at various different times. Specifically if one were from out of the country (US) he would allow taping. I remember Datu Hoffman coming from England to tape almost an entire days worth of footage at a camp in Chicago, for example.

So, I think it just depended on the circumstance, and who was doing the taping.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depended on who was doing the taping and the situation. Professor was very concerned about footage being used for commercial use or otherwise against his will, so he used a very tight control over who could tape and who couldn't. If he was confident that taping was going to be used only for training or personal purposes, he would let some people tape under certain circumstances. I was able to, but then again I was not walking around with a camera all the time (didn't even own one). I know a lot of others were able to at various different times. Specifically if one were from out of the country (US) he would allow taping. I remember Datu Hoffman coming from England to tape almost an entire days worth of footage at a camp in Chicago, for example.

So, I think it just depended on the circumstance, and who was doing the taping.

Yep it all depended on the circumstances. There is footage out there but alot of it will probably never be posted as those people may choose instead to honor the professors desires.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right. I'm not sure about the ethical concerns regarding posting footage that was intended for personal use in a public fora like Youtube or here. That is what has prevented me from doing anything with the little footage I have to date.

I would imagine it would be OK if it wasn't done for profit and for learning, especially given now that he has passed on. But I am sure that it would be unethical to use the material commercially if it was understood by prof. that it wouldn't be used for those purposes.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right. I'm not sure about the ethical concerns regarding posting footage that was intended for personal use in a public fora like Youtube or here. That is what has prevented me from doing anything with the little footage I have to date.

I would imagine it would be OK if it wasn't done for profit and for learning, especially given now that he has passed on. But I am sure that it would be unethical to use the material commercially if it was understood by prof. that it wouldn't be used for those purposes.

There also comes into play what he wanted you to do with the footage if it was just for you then that is probably the way it should stay. That is my take on the little footage I have as well with all of my teachers.
icon6.gif

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think is ok to release the footage if the owner considers its what is best for them and to continue keeping legacy alive.

Technology has turned more to self publising, especially now with visual clips any Remy is not as present in that form as noted by Dieter.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think is ok to release the footage if the owner considers its what is best for them and to continue keeping legacy alive.

And that is the valid other side of the argument. If the reasons are altruistic, then it may be justifiable to present footage to the public that one previously would not have if Professor was still alive.

OP
Dieter

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for yll your comments and concerns.

Let us look, what was GM Remy's first goal?

The spreading of Modern Arnis. He published mny videos, to do so.
I am sure, he wanted, that the money from videos goes to him and not anybody else, which I do understand perfectly.

But Youtube was not existing at that time and noboody makes money out of it. Publishing in YouTube has one readon: Make material easily available to a bigger audience. Presenting GM Remy and Modern Arnis to a greater audience, who might have heared of him but never had the chance to see him.
Or maybe never heared of him and find the way to Modern Arnis this way.
I am very sure, GM Remy would not object this goal or what do you think?

Anyway, I would appreciate to see some clips of him on Youtube. This is also a kind of hommage to a great Master!

Regards

Dieter

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

surfing the net it orccured to me, that there are almost no video clips of Professor Remy Presas on YouTube or somewhere else.
I don't mean Cilps form the videos or DVDs he produced, but clips from seminars or private training, that someone might have taken.

I would find it really great, if one could motivate Modern Arnis player, that have such footage, to put some of it online for people, who have never met the Professsor get an idea, how he moved and how he taught.

Anybody out there with some clips?

Regards

Dieter

Hello Master Dieter,

Using a tip from Palusut in a post that he provided, I did a web search and found the following:

http://forum.aspoonful.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/634103049/m/197103049/inc/-1

Rare footage of Professor Remy Presas practicing Tapi Tapi with a student at the 1988 Summer Camp in New Hampshire!
(3rd video clip listed on page)

Unfortunately Professor presas is in the backgroup and you'll only see him by looking around others... sorry it was the only thing that I've found so far.

Morgan

OP
Dieter

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Morgan,

but when I click it, I ony get an error message ???

Regards

Dieter

OP
Dieter

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks.

this clip is the reason why I startet this thread, because I thoought it would be nice to see more of that.

Thanks anyway

Dieter

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Morgan,

but when I click it, I ony get an error message ???

Regards

Dieter

Dear Master Dieter,

I'm sorry that you could not get into the site and video clip.
Please try:

http://forum.aspoonful.com/eve/forums and go to the videos section, 2nd page, 3rd entry with the description that I posted yesterday. In the meantime, I'm going to contact PG Bolden to double check with him to see if there is or has been a problem with the site. As you stated in your opening post, it would be good to see rare, non- commercial footage of Professor Presas.

Morgan

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dear Master Dieter,

Please try:

http://forum.aspoonful.com/eve/forums and go to the videos section, 2nd page, 3rd entry with the description that I posted yesterday. In the meantime, I'm going to contact PG Bolden to double check with him to see if there is or has been a problem with the site. As you stated in your opening post, it would be good to see rare, non- commercial footage of Professor Presas.

Morgan

Mod Note:

The sited url above does not work. Please use this link to see video.

Thanks,

Palusut
MT Senior Moderator

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dear Master Dieter,

Please try:

Morgan

Ok, I've talked with PG Tom Bolden and have the following information for everyone interested in the video clip that he's posted with Professor Presas. It can be accessed from the MTC video files under the title "Modern Arnis". The link reads:

Video Clips from the American Modern Arnis Associates featuring Punong Guro Tom Bolden (External Link)

Once you are on the "aspoonful" site, then go to the 7th item under the "Topics" heading and click 'AMAA Memories: Video Clips'

The 3rd item down is entitled:

"Posted Fri July 22 2005 05:23 AM
"Rare footage of Professor Remy Presas practicing Tapi Tapi with a student at the 1988 Summer Camp in New Hampshire!"

That is what you are looking for and it is available. I just went through the whole process myself before posting this message and everything worked without a hitch or hiccup.

An additional note that PG Bolden asked me to pass along is that the link has been available on MTC for at least the past 18 months and put on MTC by Mr. Bob Hubbard, whom PG Bolden wanted me to acknowledge for his assistance

He also wanted to make sure that everyone notes that Professor Presas is teaching Tapi-Tapi in this video clip and the correct year is 1988 and not as previously reported as 1998 when this clip was first mentioned elsewhere in another post.

Respectfully submitted,

Morgan

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I've talked with PG Tom Bolden and have the following information for everyone interested in the video clip that he's posted with Professor Presas. It can be accessed from the MTC video files under the title "Modern Arnis". The link reads:

Video Clips from the American Modern Arnis Associates featuring Punong Guro Tom Bolden (External Link)

Once you are on the "aspoonful" site, then go to the 7th item under the "Topics" heading and click 'AMAA Memories: Video Clips'

The 3rd item down is entitled:

"Posted Fri July 22 200505:23 AM
"Rare footage of Professor Remy Presas practicing Tapi Tapi with a student at the 1988 Summer Camp in New Hampshire!"

That is what you are looking for and it is available. I just went through the whole process myself before posting this message and everything worked without a hitch or hiccup.

An additional note that PG Bolden asked me to pass along is that the link has been available on MTC for at least the past 18 months and put on MTC by Mr. Bob Hubbard, whom PG Bolden wanted me to acknowledge for his assistance

He also wanted to make sure that everyone notes that Professor Presas is teaching Tapi-Tapi in this video clip and the correct year is 1988 and not as previously reported as 1998 when this clip was first mentioned elsewhere in another post.

Respectfully submitted,

Morgan
Thanks Morgan!

Sorry that I mis-typed the date.

Best regards,

Palusut

Latest Discussions