Giant spiders invade Australian Outback town

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Giant spiders invade Australian Outback town
Times Online EXCERPT WARNING! PICTURES AT LINK! WARNING!
May 6, 2009
Sophie Tedmanson in Sydney
Australia is known around the world for its large and deadly creepy crawlies, but even locals have been shocked by the size of the giant venomous spiders that have invaded an Outback town in Queensland.
Scores of eastern tarantulas, which are known as “bird-eating spiders” and can grow larger than the palm of a man’s hand, have begun crawling out from gardens and venturing into public spaces in Bowen, a coastal town about 700 miles northwest of Brisbane.
Earlier this week locals spotted an Australian tarantula wandering towards a public garden in the centre of town where people often sit for lunch. They called in a pest controller, but not before using a can of insect spray to paralyse the spider.
Audy Geiszler, who runs Amalgamated Pest Control in Bowen, said that the spider was a large male with powerful long fangs and was so big that when he placed it – dead – in the palm of his hand its legs hung over his fingers.
Mr Geiszler said that he had been inundated with calls from worried locals reporting sightings of the giant tarantulas, which have been pushed out of their natural habitat over the past month by heavy, unseasonal rain.

END EXCERPT
Get me a shotgun and Ronald McDonald's shoes! Holy CRAP

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning about pictures on the link. I haven't opened it up...I'd rather not have nightmares tonight :D

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Creepy crawlies don't bother me at all. I love insects, and as a girl scout I was notorious for chasing the other girls around with them on camping trips. :whip1: I'm especially fond of spiders.

There are only two bugs I can't stand ... cockroaches and tarantulas. I won't even get close enough to a roach to stomp it. I don't live in a region where I'd encounter tarantulas outside of the zoo. As such, I thank you kindly for the warning on your link.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning about pictures on the link. I haven't opened it up...I'd rather not have nightmares tonight :D
It isn't really THAT bad, but, it made me lean back from the monitor...

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eastern tarantulas are certainly big and scary and the bite can cause six hours of vomiting , but most Aussies are more scared of a much smaller spider called the funnel web spider.

The Sydney Funnel Web spider in particular is highly aggressive and the bite can kill a child in 15 minutes and a fully grown man in 40 minutes if anti venom is not given.

Most Aussies are told from a young age to shake out their shoes before they put them on because the nasty little buggers like to hide in them , another place they like to hide is in swimming pools because they are attracted to water .

They can hide underwater for hours and hours in a pool and still deliver a fatal bite. One of my friends was a pest controller and he said that he went to peoples backyards in Sydney that were infested with funnel web burrows.

Where I live there are a lot of new Australians from China and Korea and I'm always telling them to make sure they shake their shoes out before they put them on , because their custom is to leave their shoes outside their door , which would look like a very inviting home to a roving male funnel web.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you were lucky enough to find one it may be an opportunity to practise kakato geri! :rofl:

They do it tough up north!!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, we do have some pretty cute little critters in this little place of ours... Aside from the aforementioned funnel web, you get to look out for trapdoor spiders, death adders, taipans, and tiny little spiders like red backs and white-tails. At least you'll probably see these guys coming! (We have a semi-famous song here harking back to the days of outside toilets, named "Red Back on the Toilet Seat", fun little ditty to amuse kids...)

But you know, I just thought the furry little guy in question was cute. Just me?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get me a shotgun and Ronald McDonald's shoes! Holy CRAP

:lfao:

EEWWWWWWW!!!! I sat there debating "do I wanna look?" "no, you better not look." with the cursor hovering......and then curiosity got the better of me! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! Sure as hell wouldn't wanna share my sandwich with that thing..... I am shaking all over!!! Why do I look? WHY DO I ALWAYS LOOK!!!! :D

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh. Dear. GOD! I am NEVER going to Australia. NEVER. :barf:

However, I do live in Texas, and we have (much smaller) tarantulas here, as well as scorpions <shudder>. When I first visited my town to interview for a job, there was a tarantula under the sink in my hotel. When I called the front desk to report it, they told me not to worry, that it was free with the room. :eye-popping:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate spiders. I would be tempted to squash that sucker.

I'd be afraid! Guts...ewwwww. I would run screaming doing the heebie jeebie shake! I HATE spiders, I HATE creepy crawlies.

When we first moved to North Carolina about 13 years ago, the house we bought had been vacant for a while. After we moved in, in addition to your run of the mill spiders, I discovered centipedes and millipedes in the house. I about **** a brick.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love bats and snakes but spiders... AAAARGH HATE THEM!!

I am NOT going to Australia. Not without body armor, a flame thrower and a solid baseball bat as a backup weapon. Where is an army of brave noble halflings clad in mithril mail and armed with blades from fallen Numenor when you need them?

shelob.jpg

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just HAD to look...and as soon as I did I felt faint...I have a bad case of arachnophobia...I freak when I see spiders...no matter how big or small they are!!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to assume here it is just me...

But really, none of our big, strong, experienced, skilled martial arts friends here can handle a little furry friend? Pity, you just need to respect them, like any possible opponent... and I still think he's cute.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stomp him, hell! You could wear a couple of them like roller skates! ;)

I have a ball python that freaks visitors out but don't care to own anything that doesn't have an internal skeleton. Worst spider we have around here is the black widow. Found several around the outside of the house last year. Beautiful creatures, really, but not something I care to have around.

Latest Discussions