Getting slammed....yikes

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty scary to watch. On pavement these guys would be dead.

D

Deleted member 39746

I still dont get why IBJJ tournaments dont allow slamming. If you are going to literally attach yourself to the torso of someone, you should expect them to throw you down on the floor.

I think i got the right acronym. Just seems like a bad habit as instinctually slamming seems like it fits better.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you're right. I also think it can give BJJ players a false sense of security. This is why crosstraining in Judo/Wrestling with takedowns is imperative. In a street altercation, if you're going up someone very strong....like some stocky bull type of guy that lifts weights, you better be prepared to be picked up and slammed....or be able to take them down first. My .02

Even Ben Askren got slammed hard, and he's a wrestler. He got lucky it wasn't on a slightly different angle. Lawler is strong and just picked him up.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why pull guard and jump guard are both bad idea. It's better to be on top. It's bad to be on the bottom.
Ya. Unless you are on a mat under jitz rules.

It's important to know what to do from the bottom in a fight, but it's still the second last place you ever want to be.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always hated getting slammed. Even little slams. And I was always careful not to slam anyone.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still dont get why IBJJ tournaments dont allow slamming. If you are going to literally attach yourself to the torso of someone, you should expect them to throw you down on the floor.

I think i got the right acronym. Just seems like a bad habit as instinctually slamming seems like it fits better.
Because you can cripple someone if you do it wrong that's why

D

Deleted member 39746

Because you can cripple someone if you do it wrong that's why

Which is why they should train to avoid getting slammed and be exposed to the ability to be slammed. Shouldn't be habit for it not to be present the reverse should be and works better.

Better to do it on a mat/padded surface anyway than on concrete and brick.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is why they should train to avoid getting slammed and be exposed to the ability to be slammed. Shouldn't be habit for it not to be present the reverse should be and works better.

Better to do it on a mat/padded surface anyway than on concrete and brick.

In training yeah. MMA you can slam all you want.

But it is hard in competition. Because once you start it you can't stop it. And so is very hard to protect against a life altering action.

And people really shouldn't get crippled doing sport. It is generally considered a vehicle to make people stronger and better. Not worse.

The issue is grappling is about one of the most dangerous things you can do to someone.

You can kill people with it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can kill people with it.
You use

- jump guard, your opponent slams you.
- high kick, your opponent kicks your groin.
- single leg, your opponent punches your head.
- waist wrapping hip throw, your opponent cracks your elbow.
- bear hug, your opponent break your neck.

It's your fault to put yourself into that situation. It should be your responsibility to prevent yourself not to get into that situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You use

- jump guard, your opponent slams you.
- high kick, your opponent kicks your groin.
- single leg, your opponent punches your head.
- waist wrapping hip throw, your opponent cracks your elbow.
- bear hug, your opponent break your neck.

It's your fault to put yourself into that situation. It should be your responsibility to prevent yourself not to get into that situation.

You realize these are not death matches right?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You realize these are not death matches right?
MA training is to find the right key to open the right lock. The best counter for a technique may be deadly, but the best counter is still the best counter. If we take away the most effective counter, then what's the purpose of our MA training?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA training is to find the right key to open the right lock. The best counter for a technique may be deadly, but the best counter is still the best counter. If we take away the most effective counter, then what's the purpose of our MA training?

Have you fought many death matches?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you fought many death matches?
What does that have to do with "to find the right key to open the right lock"? A good counter is still a good counter.

You train body slam on the mat everyday. It doesn't mean that you have to hurt people with that.

To have the ability to finish a fight is not the same as you have to use it all the time.

wrestling-embrace.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions