Getting slammed by someone in your guard?

pH_

White Belt
Reaction score
So I've been training BJJ for about a year or 2. And until recently I haven't really sparred with anyone outside of my gym. Well the other day one of my good friends who's a really big wrestler dude said he wanted to spar with me so we did. And every single time he came into my guard he'd just pick me up and slam me (on mats of course) and it got really irritating cause he'd keep doing it until I let go.

I started thinking about it yesterday and was curious to get a second opinion.

Would uncrossing my legs and going for a hook sweep work? Or would the positioning of his legs while trying to pick me up make this harder to accomplish? Thoughts?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree with above. If you slap on a triangle remember to hook leg with arm to avoid the Rampage slam

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Grab the ankles. This applies when performing a triangle too. If you sweep him, even better.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, pH_. Hope you enjoy it. Some knowledgeable jits guys here. (I'm not one of them)

Is he on his knees, then standing up? Do you use anything other than a closed guard?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Few thoughts...

If you're sparring for sport competition, slamming is against the rules (immediate disqualification) in most BJJ competitions, so if your friend is looking to get into that sort of competition, make sure he knows the rules.

Otherwise, for fighting or self-defense purposes, you should never allow yourself to be slammed. When you feel your opponent starting to stand up, if you can't break his posture and prevent him from getting up, you should immediately open your legs and move to some form of open guard. Don't wait for him to lift you up or break open your guard. By the time he gets to his feet you should already have your grips, have your feet in position (depending on what sort of open guard you are playing), and be working to break your opponent's structure.