Genbukan - Gift of Traditional Martial Arts!

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah saw that on another board looks like a real well done video.
Thanks again Brian you are the guro of Vidoes:ultracool

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Brian. :) Even though I don't train in that art, it looks very interesting. I'll probably buy a copy.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it looks like a good watch so I am probably going to get a copy myself!
icon6.gif

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kyoshi Coleman is the highest ranking US Genbukan student. I had the honor of him grading my last kyu test -- he's an extraordinary individual both as a martial artist and a human being. Can't wait to get the dvd.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kyoshi Coleman is the highest ranking US Genbukan student. I had the honor of him grading my last kyu test -- he's an extraordinary individual both as a martial artist and a human being. Can't wait to get the dvd.
I think Mr. Gary Giamboi also matches Mr. Coleman as far as ranking goes since they are both Kyoshi in title and both hold the same degrees in Jujutsu and Ninjutsu. Only differences is Mr. Coleman has special instuctor ranking and has a Menkyo in Yagyu but the Ninpo and KJJR is the same.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian, this clip and subsequent dvd depicts the very reason I started martial arts, and continue to train to this day.

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Gary Giamboi also matches Mr. Coleman as far as ranking goes since they are both Kyoshi in title and both hold the same degrees in Jujutsu and Ninjutsu.

Quite right. The correct terminology should have been the most "senior" US Genbukan student.

Giamboi Kyoshi is a very skilled martial artist who I believe is also an accomplished yoga instuctor.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Gary Giamboi also matches Mr. Coleman as far as ranking goes since they are both Kyoshi in title and both hold the same degrees in Jujutsu and Ninjutsu. Only differences is Mr. Coleman has special instuctor ranking and has a Menkyo in Yagyu but the Ninpo and KJJR is the same.

I believe the difference is that Coleman Kyoshi received his last rank and title before Giamboi Kyoshi.

Sorry, did not see the last post before, but yes, he is more senior.

Yugen

White Belt
Reaction score
This is a great film, and in my opinion truly shows what happens when the principles and teachings you'd find in our martial art as taught by Grandmaster Tanemura are applied to real life.

The film itself covers a whole lot of stuff, and is a really good presentation of not only the humanitarian aspect of our art, but also shows in depth the many aspects of the martial arts taught under the Genbukan umbrella.

Highly recommended!

- Bard

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My copy should be arriving by Monday or Tuesday at the latest I will be reviewing it on my blog around then.
icon6.gif

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question. I know before I ask it that it is going to cause problems and start arguments, please understand this is NOT my intention, I don't want this to turn into a political thread, and I'm not trying to start anything... It's just somthing I have always taken for granted, but as I continue to progress in my development, and explore the background of the art, and its history and traditions, I feel compelled to enquire about.

At the beginning of that clip, Mister Tanemura claims Grandmastership of 26 Ryu-ha, is that correct... and I assume 9 of those are the ones also taught by the Bujinkan and the Jinenkan... if so, who granted him "grandmastership" or did he give it to himself under the umbrella of the "Genbukan" grandmastership? And going along with that, what are the japanese traditions as far as foundings, and passing along arts etc... Is it common for a "Master" to pass ownership to multiple students... I've seen in the west how common it is for someone to "spin off" and form their own "Sokeship"... is it done that way in Japan often?

And again, these are NOT baited questions and I am NOT looking for a fight/argument to start... I'm trying to understand how these things are done, what the traditions and precidents for this are in the east.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not an expert but this is off the Gen web page

At the age of fifteen, he began to study Shindo Muso ryu Kenpo from the renowned Master Seishiro Saito. It was during these high school days that his quest for true martial arts was beginning take form and blossom. At the age of fifteen, Tanemura sensei also was fortunate enough to be initiated into the famous Asayama Ichiden ryu taijutsu along with Takagi Yoshin ryu jujutsu, Gikan ryu koppojutsu as well as other ancient schools of bujutsu (Japanese martial arts). His training was so concentrated, that he received his menkyo kaiden (full mastership) in Shinden Fudo ryu and Kukishin ryu at the age of twenty.

During his university days, Grand Master Tanemura was introduced to Dr. Kinbei Sato. Even though Sato sensei taught martial arts to many people, very few (including Tanemura sensei, at first) knew of Dr. Sato's training with Takamatsu sensei. It wasn't until more than a decade later, that Tanemura sensei (after ending his relationship with another teacher and starting the Genbukan) rediscovered Sato sensei. He was given special kuden (secret oral teachings) and by the winter of 1989, Dr. Kinbei Sato named him as the next Soke (Grandmaster) of Takagi Yoshin ryu, Bokuden ryu, Gikan ryu, and Kukishin ryu.

Hope that helps some

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Cryo I think Mr.Tanemura recieved Sokeship from Sato Kinbei and Masharu Kimura.

I think he recieved Menkyo from Mr.Hatsumi thus making his Tanemura-ha branches.

I don't understand the Chinese Bagua grandmastership because Wang shu jin has passed his line on to alot of others and Li Zi Ming who taught hie own form of Liang style Bagua has also passed on his teachings. So IMO it is errorous to say Grandmastership in Wang shu jin bagua or Cheng(some say Wang's Bagua comes from Cheng style) or Li Zi Ming Bagua or even Liang style Bagua grandmaster. What would most likely be correct is 5th generation because Li Zi Ming was I believe 3rd generation. Also Wang Shu Jin also learned Xingyi quan and a couple other styles that I don't think are in the Genbukan's forms. The Liang family does recognize Li Zi Ming's two man sequences that the Genbukan has you can purchase the Liang two man drill that Li Zi Ming taught on Plumpub.com.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Tanemura Sensei claims the Soke-ship in 26 arts via a number of means, including the formation of his own branches (Tanemura-ha) of many of the Bujinkan arts, such as Togakure Ryu, Gyokko Ryu, Koto Ryu etc after leaving Hatsumi Sensei and forming the Genbukan; the splitting of the various branches of Kukishin Ryuha (Kukishinden Happo Biken, Kukishin Ryu Bojutsu, Hontai Kukishin Ryu, Shinden Tatara Ryu, Kijin Chosui Ryu etc); and Ryuha obtained from other teachers, such as Kimura Sensei, Ueno Sensei, and Sato Sensei. These include Asayama Ichiden Ryu, Bokuden Ryu, Yagyu Shingan Ryu Katchu Yawara, Tenshin Koryu, and the Chinese systems.

From all reports, after splitting with Hatsumi Sensei, Tanemura Sensei spent a number of years seeking out former students and training partners of Takamatsu Sensei, and learned everything he could from them.

I may have missed out a bit, or gotten one or two things mixed up, Genbukan/KJJR guys, please correct anything you feel I have erred on.

Mark Bramble

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I believe Mr. Parker is pretty accurate from my understanding. I'm not sure if it's been stated, but to clarify Tanemura Soke learned the x-kan specific Ryu-ha from a few sources, and this is represented in the Tanemura-ha. He also still maintains a teacher which has taught at the 2005 Japan Taikai, and I think at the 2007 one as well.

As for the movie, it was shown a couple of times at the latest Milwaukee Taikai, and is very good imho.