Functional Kenpo Voume Three - Neutral Bow

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love it when people share thoughts and ideas. I was flabber-gasted to hear that some people's nb stance includes outstreached arms (uncocked and can't punch without drawing back).

Question, when you experimented with fighting sideways throwing a lead hand; have you ever lifted the heel of your front foot and rotated your hip? (e.g. lead right with right toes pointing to 10:30ish, rotate your hips counterclockwise on the ball of your foot until your {right foot's} toes point towards 9:00, and recoil).

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love it when people share thoughts and ideas. I was flabber-gasted to hear that some people's nb stance includes outstreached arms (uncocked and can't punch without drawing back).

Question, when you experimented with fighting sideways throwing a lead hand; have you ever lifted the heel of your front foot and rotated your hip? (e.g. lead right with right toes pointing to 10:30ish, rotate your hips counterclockwise on the ball of your foot until your {right foot's} toes point towards 9:00, and recoil).

Yeah, I learned to punch like that when I was doing kickboxing. Especially for hooks and Uppercuts. I'm still on the fence with that because in boxing a guy can't kick the side of your knee or try to circle behind you...and most kickboxers through round kicks and not side kicks. Not quite sure how I feel about that one yet.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What you are showing here is virtually identical to what Bruce Lee called his "bai jong" and what my instructor calls a "fighting neutral," I've seen some kenpo guys call that a "high kneel."

I like your vid series, keep them coming.

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I learned to punch like that when I was doing kickboxing. Especially for hooks and Uppercuts. I'm still on the fence with that because in boxing a guy can't kick the side of your knee or try to circle behind you...and most kickboxers through round kicks and not side kicks. Not quite sure how I feel about that one yet.

I use that hip and footshift for hooks and uppercuts. If I'm close enough to use either, then I'm well within kicking distance. I usually only throw (body) hooks when I'm on the outside of their arm, otherwise I'm trying to go straight down the centerline, so I'm not real concerned about them getting around me.

Lamont

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use that hip and footshift for hooks and uppercuts. If I'm close enough to use either, then I'm well within kicking distance. I usually only throw (body) hooks when I'm on the outside of their arm, otherwise I'm trying to go straight down the centerline, so I'm not real concerned about them getting around me.

Lamont
I'll play with this and see how it works for me, thanks for the insights!

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What you are showing here is virtually identical to what Bruce Lee called his "bai jong"

Yes, the first thing I thought of was that he is discovering the "facing" principle of Wing Chun, that would have made it into Lee's system.

Wing Chun Master Bennie Meng also goes into a discussion of why wing chun sees directly facing the opponent as advantageous in his video of the first wing chun form.

Mr. Hawkins is an awesome kenpo stylist and a very good teacher.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the first thing I thought of was that he is discovering the "facing" principle of Wing Chun, that would have made it into Lee's system.

Wing Chun Master Bennie Meng also goes into a discussion of why wing chun sees directly facing the opponent as advantageous in his video of the first wing chun form.

Mr. Hawkins is an awesome kenpo stylist and a very good teacher.

Thank you for your kind remarks, salute.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love the videos gives me some things to think about thanks for sharing.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[yt]vgbmy0pHwNc[/yt]

Thank you for sharing. It may be obvious that as well as turning to generate "umph" in your strikes there is also dropping of your center slightly, of the weight as you impact and block that can add something to your movement.

respectfully,
Marlon