Front kick training equipment

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering, what kind of targets do you use to train/practise your front kick (the type that uses instep as contact point) ?

I've realised that a punching bag wouldn't do, and I don't really have someone to hold a hand target or foam shield whenever I feel like practising. Does anyone know of special targets or training aids for this purpose, or is some improvisation needed?

Thanks.

I've thought of using a clamp attached to a long "springy" metal bar that could be attached to the wall, but it's gotta be bought part by part and self-assembled; checks on the website of a local MA store yielded no results.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont give up on that punching bag too soon. Using the front kick with the ball of your foot is much more realistic and a great way to train.

Dave O.

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haha. Thanks, I realise that too, but still, the front instep kick is my best/favourite kick. Can't leave that out.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering, what kind of targets do you use to train/practise your front kick (the type that uses instep as contact point) ?

I don't do front kick with the instep - ball of foot and heel, but not instep - although I do turning kick with the instep sometimes, so it could just be a terminology difference.

I use focus pads - small square ones and the larger rectangular ones, along with the teardrop shaped ones - and a wavewaster, as we don't have a place to hang a heavy bag. Also, we practice on each other.

I've also used a homemade training tool for focus - punch a hole in a plastic lid (6" lids are about right, but they can be bigger or smaller), put a string through it, and hang it from the ceiling - great for focus practice.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I

I've also used a homemade training tool for focus - punch a hole in a plastic lid (6" lids are about right, but they can be bigger or smaller), put a string through it, and hang it from the ceiling - great for focus practice.

I made a similar training device but with a tennis ball with a string through it and hung from the ceiling. I also threaded it through a couple pulleys so the height could be adjusted. Kids and adults alike love it!

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
I use the tennis ball rig as well. I also use the small super balls that you can buy out of the trincket machines ,they are smaller and harder to focus your ball of the foot on. All the best of the arts

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aha! Tennis balls! That's a great idea. The only plastic lids easily come by (off the top of my head) are those from them flimsy plastic take-away containers.

Thanks all!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aha! Tennis balls! That's a great idea. The only plastic lids easily come by (off the top of my head) are those from them flimsy plastic take-away containers.

Thanks all!
We used to use the ones from either coffee cans or cottage cheese containers.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Something I haven't tried yet but I'm considering is using a self standing latter and hanging tarkets off the side of it at each rung. I like the tennis ball idea. The ladder can be used to do side kickes through the rungs also. For now I drew circles on my heavy bag at different levels. You can also kick the bottom of the heavy bag with the instep, as if you are kicking someone in the "privates". Zip tie the hanger chains because the bag will bounce offf of them.

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something I haven't tried yet but I'm considering is using a self standing latter and hanging tarkets off the side of it at each rung. I like the tennis ball idea. The ladder can be used to do side kickes through the rungs also. For now I drew circles on my heavy bag at different levels. You can also kick the bottom of the heavy bag with the instep, as if you are kicking someone in the "privates". Zip tie the hanger chains because the bag will bounce offf of them.

I like the ladder idea too, but I can't use it due to space constraints. My apartment is extremely cramped.

And I've tried the bolded idea too. Hehe. Maybe my technique was improper, but I almost broke my leg (it felt like it) once when doing that.
Will work on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Try a tether ball for light resistance and plastic wiffle style golf balls for accuracy.

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hm..

How 'bout a light medicine ball suspended in a net? Say 1kg/2.2lb?
Am not joking, just in case.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hm..

How 'bout a light medicine ball suspended in a net? Say 1kg/2.2lb?
Am not joking, just in case.

One problem any ball will eventually leave its mooring. In a spartan concrete room no problem, in a dry walled room well dry wall patching is a pretty easy thing to learn.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Although instep is pretty limited in targets (for front kick) I use a ping pong ball. Also for other kick a speed bag is pretty good.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Instead of a regular punching bag, try a 100 or 200 pound Muay Thai bag. The bags are very reasonably priced if you purchase them unfilled and fill them yourself.

The Muay Thai bags are much longer, so they can be used for kicking practice...not to mention punching, elbows, or any other strike. Most can be suspended from the top of the bag and also secured from the bottom to limit the amount of travel the bag will do when hit.

Good luck and keep training! :)