From the "You gotta be ******* kidding me!" files...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cops Charge 7-Year-Old for Bringing Toy Gun to Class

A 7-year-old child allegedly shot a Nerf-style toy gun in his Hammonton, N.J., school Jan. 18. No one was hurt, but the pint-size softshooter now faces misdemeanor criminal charges.

"No one was hurt"...ya think???

Police charged the 7-year-old with possessing an imitation firearm in or on an education institution – a misdemeanor and a minor juvenile offense in New Jersey.
School officials described the child as "a nice kid" and "a good student." Authorities haven't commented on what specific disciplinary action or punishment the boy faces though it could involve counseling and other resources made available to the family.

Alright. Far be it from me to second guess my brothers in blue, but WTF?!?! Put a kid who is described as a "nice kid" and "good student" through the juvi system over a ****ING NERF GUN!?! What the hell?

Good Lord I hope there is more to this story.

edit:

Another quote from the article:

Deseire Gherard, a parent of one of the students at the school, agrees with the policy.
"I'd rather it be dealt with more severely than not," said Gherard. "I would rather them go a little bit too far for the safety of all the children then to say 'okay, it was probably nothing.'"

What are we becoming?

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, this incident is somewhat infuriating. Friggin' wingers!

This is one of those situations where zero-tolerance fails... big time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Misdemeanor criminal charges??? For a SEVEN year old with a nerf gun? Take a "nice kid" that's a "nice kid" and a "good student" and associate him as a juvenile delinquent???

That is all kinds of wrong.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another kids getting the book thrown at him over spit balls.

Thinking is no longer a requirement for authority.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a 'nerf' gun?

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's a 'nerf' gun?

Well..this article calls it a "nerf like gun" which is a toy that fires soft foam projectiles. In this case it sounds like a plastic toy that fires ping-pong balls.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well..this article calls it a "nerf like gun" which is a toy that fires soft foam projectiles. In this case it sounds like a plastic toy that fires ping-pong balls.

Ah, it's obviously so dangerous it should be issues to the troops then!

It sounds as if the child should be told off for bringing toys to school and annoying people (probably girls) with them but surely an internal matter for teachers to deal with.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is for their safety. You gotta think about the children!
Oh wait. That was what the clergy used to say... and we all know how that turned out...
DON'T think about the children... p

From various other incidents like this, it looks to me as if the US has really become paranoid about school violence, to the point where all sanity has been abandoned. Is that true, or is it due to media bias?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From various other incidents like this, it looks to me as if the US has really become paranoid about school violence, to the point where all sanity has been abandoned. Is that true, or is it due to media bias?
While there is a lot of media bias here, a lot of sanity has been gleefully abandoned.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I understand the school's knee jerk response. OK -- no I don't. But I expect it.

But why did the cops go along? That's when you bring a dose of common sense into the equation and say "OK, give him detention. But we're not bringing charges against a 7-year old."

And if the cops tried -- why the hell didn't the juvenile intake officers handle it more wisely? Something along the lines of "Fine, if you insist, bring the kid in. We'll tell him not to do it again."

Instead, you slap a 7-year old with a "violent criminal" tag...

Setting him up for success, ain't they?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks those kind of Zero Tolerance policies are a good idea should be imprisoned for criminal stupidity!

Because the PROBLEM with school violence is Nerf Guns and Boy Scout Utensils.......NO, the PROBLEM with American Schools are IDIOTS IN CHARGE OF SOME OF THEM!

'I'm going to prevent another Columbine by banning Nerf Guns and Boy Scout Utensils......i'm a MORON!'

The folks in charge of these decisions should be HOUNDED in to unemployment and made an example of!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. I understand the school's knee jerk response. OK -- no I don't. But I expect it.

But why did the cops go along? That's when you bring a dose of common sense into the equation and say "OK, give him detention. But we're not bringing charges against a 7-year old."

And if the cops tried -- why the hell didn't the juvenile intake officers handle it more wisely? Something along the lines of "Fine, if you insist, bring the kid in. We'll tell him not to do it again."

Instead, you slap a 7-year old with a "violent criminal" tag...

Setting him up for success, ain't they?
Im sure the officer didnt want to do it but at least where I work we are requireed by our SOP to follow the schools request and if they want the kid charged we have to charge them. However Im not sure a Nerf gun fits our law so he would prob. have just been charged with disturbing school activities

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im sure the officer didnt want to do it but at least where I work we are requireed by our SOP to follow the schools request and if they want the kid charged we have to charge them. However Im not sure a Nerf gun fits our law so he would prob. have just been charged with disturbing school activities
Whether it meets the code is another issue...

But, personally, the most I'd do is close this as "warrants advised" meaning I told them how to get a petition. I would discuss it at length if necessary -- but given the circumstances presented, I wouldn't get a petition for the kid. Should I be charging my 2 year old for brandishing because his favorite game this week was to get hold of a blue gun (non firing training replica) and pointing it at us, saying "bang"?

Like I said -- the cop's job in a situation like this is to inject common sense into the school policies. If the cop's attempt fails, it should occur at the intake officer's desk. The isn't a criminal event; I'm not certain that a 7-year old can form the requisite criminal intent.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 3 year old daughter's favorite toy is a small sword that she uses to 'kill'.
She brandishes it quite often too. And half a year ago when I carried her upstairs to put her in bed (against her wishes) she told me cutely she was going to tear my head off.

I guess in the US she'd be a terrorist and forced to live in juvie.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whether it meets the code is another issue...

But, personally, the most I'd do is close this as "warrants advised" meaning I told them how to get a petition. I would discuss it at length if necessary -- but given the circumstances presented, I wouldn't get a petition for the kid. Should I be charging my 2 year old for brandishing because his favorite game this week was to get hold of a blue gun (non firing training replica) and pointing it at us, saying "bang"?

Like I said -- the cop's job in a situation like this is to inject common sense into the school policies. If the cop's attempt fails, it should occur at the intake officer's desk. The isn't a criminal event; I'm not certain that a 7-year old can form the requisite criminal intent.
We would not have that choice we have no discretion when it comes to schools I dont agree with it but thats how our SOP is written and failure to follow it would get me in trouble. And 2 year olds cant be charged with a crime.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do disrespect, but it a ****ed up policy that says a non LE entity can mandate what an LEO will or will not charge. If thats the case I'd make THEM sign whatever initiating court instrument you use. I wouldn't be putting MY name on it that's for damn sure.

Latest Discussions