Freestyle vs. Taekwon-do

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Senior Student (Green Belt/Blue Gear) in the Finals against a Freestyle Martial Art Practitioner. Let me know what you think, any feedback and comments are welcome!

She also got 1st place in Forms

Thanks for Watching!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well hey nothing bad to say about your fighter but the other girl....my god her coach needs to train her exclusively in hands her kicks were terrible. Also needs to work on her defence literally everything your girl threw she landed even some kicks that weren't great herself (mainly that last spinning kick)

I didn't watch the forms because I don't know taekwondo forms so there's no point

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I sure do hate tournaments where non-competitors/referees are allowed on the competition floor. I’m also not crazy about referees in “street clothes.” It makes things look half-assed and disorganized, in my opinion.

Your competitor looks pretty good, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Senior Student (Green Belt/Blue Gear) in the Finals against a Freestyle Martial Art Practitioner. Let me know what you think, any feedback and comments are welcome!

She also got 1st place in Forms

Thanks for Watching!
It looks like miss 'freestyle' is completely untrained.

And it follows she got massacred by what looks to be a well trained point fighter.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

And it follows she got massacred by what looks to be a well trained point fighter.
Yup. Felt more like an experienced student giving a sparring 'lesson' to someone new.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s hard to give any meaningful feedback on her sparring. She did whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted, and everything she threw scored. It appeared as though her opponent started a week or two ago. I don’t mean that to take anything away from your student; just saying the video of that match in and of itself doesn’t do much to assess her.

I don’t know the form she did, being a karate guy myself. There were a lot of great things she did which I can comment on. She rhythm/pace was very good; she didn’t go too fast nor too slow, and stayed consistent in it the entire time. Her eyes and head were locked on her “target” so to speak instead of drifting. Her posture was very good without any leaning, slouching, etc. She seemed confident and in control, mentally and physically the entire time. In a good way, she seemed robotic in her kata.

Taking my inexperience with TKD into account, I’d say improvement in her kata would mainly come from more experience, as there weren’t any gross mistakes. Putting a little more power behind/snap in her strikes, stances a little deeper, a little quicker on turns, stuff like that. Basically, sharpening things up.

Kyu/gup number-wise, what’s her rank? How long has she been training? Does she have any prior experience? Looking at a generic TKD belts webpage, I saw green belt is 6th gup. Going by my school’s timetable, about 1 year to 1 1/2 years. Unless she’s doing a lower rank form that she’s been doing almost the entire time, she’s quite good for her experience level. She got a lot of things right that students at that rank struggle with a bit. What stood out to me was there weren’t any outright faults like noted above.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looking at a generic TKD belts webpage, I saw green belt is 6th gup.

Green is 6th in most ITF based subsystems.

Yul Gok tul is generally a 5th kup pattern (highest practiced to grade to 4th).

For our competions, apparently we'd only use tul we'd graded with, so a 5th kup wouldn't generally perform Yul Gok.

I did see a bunch of stripes/tags on her belt though - we use a green belt with a central blue stripe for 5th, but I assume the one shown may use different intermediate markings.

Actual comments to follow ;)

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
The sparring video is not the best video to receive any type of relevant feed back . Here is a video of her sparring the USKA's number 1 nationally ranked Kyu Rank:

Well hey nothing bad to say about your fighter but the other girl....my god her coach needs to train her exclusively in hands her kicks were terrible. Also needs to work on her defence literally everything your girl threw she landed even some kicks that weren't great herself (mainly that last spinning kick)

Would love your feedback on this video. ^

sure do hate tournaments where non-competitors/referees are allowed on the competition floor. I’m also not crazy about referees in “street clothes.” It makes things look half-assed and disorganized, in my opinion.

Your competitor looks pretty good, though.

I was not impressed with the quality of the tournament at all. We usually do the USKA circuits, they are 100 times more impressive.

would love your feedback on this video. ^

Yup. Felt more like an experienced student giving a sparring 'lesson' to someone new.

Over the years I have really appreciated your feedback, would love for you to comment on this video ^

It’s hard to give any meaningful feedback on her sparring. She did whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted, and everything she threw scored. It appeared as though her opponent started a week or two ago. I don’t mean that to take anything away from your student; just saying the video of that match in and of itself doesn’t do much to assess her.

I don’t know the form she did, being a karate guy myself. There were a lot of great things she did which I can comment on. She rhythm/pace was very good; she didn’t go too fast nor too slow, and stayed consistent in it the entire time. Her eyes and head were locked on her “target” so to speak instead of drifting. Her posture was very good without any leaning, slouching, etc. She seemed confident and in control, mentally and physically the entire time. In a good way, she seemed robotic in her kata.

Taking my inexperience with TKD into account, I’d say improvement in her kata would mainly come from more experience, as there weren’t any gross mistakes. Putting a little more power behind/snap in her strikes, stances a little deeper, a little quicker on turns, stuff like that. Basically, sharpening things up.

Kyu/gup number-wise, what’s her rank? How long has she been training? Does she have any prior experience? Looking at a generic TKD belts webpage, I saw green belt is 6th gup. Going by my school’s timetable, about 1 year to 1 1/2 years. Unless she’s doing a lower rank form that she’s been doing almost the entire time, she’s quite good for her experience level. She got a lot of things right that students at that rank struggle with a bit. What stood out to me was there weren’t any outright faults like noted above.

Hopefully this new video gives you an opportunity to give more relevant feedback. Her rank in the video was 6th gup/kyu, she is now 5th kyu. The form was actually the 5th kyu form so it was one advanced. For previous experience she did a Shotokan offshoot from the age 5-10, then stopped. She joined us about a year and half ago at the age of 21. So for TKD training just a year and a half. She has also been dancing for 17 years, along with just being a great athlete in general, I'm sure all that gives her an edge in training.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score

For our competions, apparently we'd only use tul we'd graded with, so a 5th kup wouldn't generally perform Yul Gok.

I did see a bunch of stripes/tags on her belt though - we use a green belt with a central blue stripe for 5th, but I assume the one shown may use different intermediate markings.

we follow the same ITF rank color system. For competitions we always use the tul that is above the competitors gup rank, unless they are not ready for that. The white bars on her belt denote time in rank. Each stripe is one month, for 6th gup.

Reactions: pdg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So in your competition, everyone’s generally doing a form that’s 1 level down from their current rank? I like that. Our organization has a tournament every year. One of the kata rules is it must be with in your current rank. Students are allowed to do a kata one rank down if they’ve recently been promoted. The judges won’t ask you why you’re doing a lower kata, they’ll assume you and your teacher are following the rules. Last tournament I was at, the first guy in my division to do kata did a lower rank kata. A couple guys in our division looked dumbfounded and asked each other why he’s doing that one. I smiled and said “I’m pretty sure he just promoted; his belt is still creased.” I was right; he promoted on Wednesday, the tournament was on Saturday.

If I compete in October at our annual tournament, I’ll be in that odd time period if my training goes according to schedule. I just promoted to 2nd kyu. The tournament is right around the minimum time in grade to promote period. Requiring me to do a kata I learned a few weeks beforehand would be pretty stupid.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sparring video is not the best video to receive any type of relevant feed back . Here is a video of her sparring the USKA's number 1 nationally ranked Kyu Rank:

Would love your feedback on this video. ^

I was not impressed with the quality of the tournament at all. We usually do the USKA circuits, they are 100 times more impressive.

would love your feedback on this video. ^

Over the years I have really appreciated your feedback, would love for you to comment on this video ^

Hopefully this new video gives you an opportunity to give more relevant feedback. Her rank in the video was 6th gup/kyu, she is now 5th kyu. The form was actually the 5th kyu form so it was one advanced. For previous experience she did a Shotokan offshoot from the age 5-10, then stopped. She joined us about a year and half ago at the age of 21. So for TKD training just a year and a half. She has also been dancing for 17 years, along with just being a great athlete in general, I'm sure all that gives her an edge in training.
Seriously that's the number one ranked?....my god I'm glad I keep away from point fighting that was sloppy as hell

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seriously that's the number one ranked?....my god I'm glad I keep away from point fighting that was sloppy as hell

Just for my own knowledge. What style do you practice?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On her kata, it looks like she is doing a fair job of digging her feet into the ground, not letting them slide or lift off the ground or otherwise “chatter” and undermine her stances while doing her techniques. Not bad for her level.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for my own knowledge. What style do you practice?
Kenpo, Muay Thai, Krav Maga and jiu jitsu also trained previously in boxing, western kickboxing and ishinryu karate

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So in your competition, everyone’s generally doing a form that’s 1 level down from their current rank?

Yeah, as far as I've seen and been told.

It's not 'done' to practice higher ranked patterns, so you don't start really learning it until you get promoted - if you're not up to spec to grade with it, why compete with it?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo, Muay Thai, Krav Maga and jiu jitsu also trained previously in boxing, western kickboxing and ishinryu karate

Ahh okay , so you're more on the MMA aide than point sparring side of competition.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh okay , so you're more on the MMA aide than point sparring side of competition.
I'm not on either I don't care about competition anymore and i like point fighting but not when the fighters fight like white belts and have awful fundamentals. Again I'm talking about not your person but the other one, slow kicks, running in with hands down and punching with no stance and head leaning forward that's basically going against everything martial arts teaches about fighting

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's nice to hear :)

When I get some time later today I'll watch it this and the forms video and let you know what I think.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just clarification, #1 in points...not ranked.

Its a very small division. Sadly its hard to get adult females to compete in sparring.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just clarification, #1 in points...not ranked. Sadly its hard to get adult females to compete in sparring.

Ahh okay , I think Rachel is great. Point Sparring is not the best definer of skill. I have been pretty impressed with her the last couple times I've seen her.

Latest Discussions