Free Spar/fighting

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey WIng CHun brothers/sisters!!! Happy new Year, Merry x-mas!!!!!!

I just came to the realization that for me
taking WIng Chun is very helpful but, WIng Chun alone without any spar/street experience is like learning swim stroke techniques on dry land and never testing it out in a pool or ocean/river/lake.
It just won't give you the full experience of what a real fight would be like.

Hell in a real fight anything goes. In a real fight there may be an element of nervousness or worry. In a real fight there may be a lot of verbal intimidation and psychological methods of bullying from the opponent. IN a real fight you may be ambushed/have a weapon pulled on you/or get attacked by a 2nd and 3rd person!!! In a real fight anything goes!!!

Are you truly prepared for such an event to unfold when you are out with your son/daughter or family??? Are you prepared to expect the unexpected??? Or will you simply just freeze cuz you did not cover this aspect of confrontation in class or outside of class???

I know a lot of people might say, avoid fighting as much as possible. They are correct. But i also believe as a Martial artist we need to free spar with other people as much as possible. Full contact.

I feel Bruce Lee had a purpose when he sparred (okay fought!) with people in his Catholic school days and on the streets of Hong Kong. IT was not merely just a show of his manhood or pride but, he was testing to see what would work most of the time in real life and, he was going through the whole experience of a real life situation so he would continue to become desensitized to such violent confrontations in order for him to be truly relaxed in future similar occurances. Sure Bruce Lee was probably known to show a fierce fighters face and demeanor when he fought but, deep down i feel he became more and more relaxed as a fighter through the years.

This gets to my whole point. When you first allow yourself to experience the ocean or the deep end of a pool, you first will probably feel nervous and attempt to apply all the strokes you practised on dry land. YOu will most likely not know how or WHEN to apply your techniques and doom sets in. YOu will feel like a loser and leave the body of water feeling frustrated and possibly hurt somehow... However the first experience is probably the best experience. For you got past the whole "fear" of testing the waters with what you learned and practised on dry land. The second time you enter that pool, you will feel less tension and know what to expect. That fear of the unknown is lessoned. Soon your 3rd and forth time you become more and more relaxed and eventually will learn when to apply which stroke for which moment, and how to keep your legs insync with your arms while you swim. In time and patience you may become a very competant swimmer and enjoy what you do!!!

However can you imagine never setting foot into a pool or lake and having total blind faith towards all the swimming strokes you practiced on dry land??? And one day you somehow end up in a boating accident and drown; due to the sudden panic that kicks in since you never experienced such a traumatic situation before???

I feel when Bruce Lee returned to America later on in his life, he was able to face off challenges and attackers with calmness and confidence thanks in part to the experiences he accepted and faced as a youth growing up. If Bruce Lee never sparred or fought in real life, i wonder if he would have simply been another average martial art instructor full of confidence but empty of experience... Bruce Lee was serious and REALISTIC when it came to his martial arts because he experienced first hand what a real life situation would feel like. Probably why he accepted good street fighters as his friends too...

All in all, i believe we as Wing Chun artist (and martial artist in total) need to approach our arts the way Bruce Lee did, or at least with the similar seriousness, focus, and realism. WE need to do our forms, we need to figure out what works best for ourselves, we need to test our progress either in a spar or even a fight(though we need to pick our battles too!!!), we need to continue to correct and improve/refine what we already know and also learn new things on the way.

To end this, my teacher once told me "there is not only 1 right way, but every way is right. There are no wrong answers, as long as you fit the specific answer in with the correct QUESTION everything is fine; for not every answer will work for every question... fit the pieces of a puzzle where they are to be fitted"

OP
R

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another note i would like to address has to do with a lot of instructors i have came across over the years.

I've noticed more than a few Sifu's and teachers who have chosen the professions of body guards, bouncers, security, police officers, etc etc. I know many of these guys have the education and knowledge to have chosen more comfy and less risky career choices such as engineers or pharmacist assistance, or nurses. SOme jobs such as being a bouncer or security doesn't offer the exact high income of say a computer engineer.

So i often ask myself, do some of these Sifu's chose to be in certain risky careers because they are in their elements??? They chose these career pathes because such environments provide them with true life experiences in which they can later pass on to their students in the class???

I would certainly feel more comfortable with a Wing Chun instructor who has had past and present conflict experience (both where he has won AND lost) in a bar or dance floor rather than a teacher who knows the principles and traditions yet, never tested his knowledge through life experiences even once.

Anybody's opinions???

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just completed my certificate in Security and am going to get part time work for that very reason, more exposure to risky and potentially violant situations will make me more "battle ready", yes there does need to be more free sparring in Wing chun, but it needs to be guided by 2 things:

1) the students level of skill: trying to "get them in the ring too early can actually be counter productive to their development in WC. The first thing they shoud do is develop at least the Sui Lum Tao and the Chum Kui energy, otherwise they will become tense

2) the reality of our Litigatious society, unfourtuanatly many sifus now feel hamstrung by the fact that many insurance companies are unwilling to even consider covering a Martial Arts school as their risk/reward ratio is way to high on the risk side, many companys will not underwrite this type of activity, so if someone is sparring and they get hurt, they could very easily sue, which could see the Sifu loose everything, including their own personal assets (unless they run the school under the umbrella of a company structure [costly to set up])

OP
R

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
You should see the waiver form a person has to sign before joining a Kali or Arnis class!!!

You know how hard it is to be accepted into Sayoc Kali by the way??? Very hard. They make sure you sign a waiver or two first, and screen you for the next several monthes to make sure you are not some punk with the intent to abuse the arts out there on the streets.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
You should see the waiver form a person has to sign before joining a Kali or Arnis class!!!

You know how hard it is to be accepted into Sayoc Kali by the way??? Very hard. They make sure you sign a waiver or two first, and screen you for the next several monthes to make sure you are not some punk with the intent to abuse the arts out there on the streets.

You will find that those waiver forms are not worth the paper they are printed on, they mean very little under civil law, and a teacher can still be successfully sued despite having the person sign a waiver form, they are more of a psychological tool more than a legal one.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The whole purpose of learning the martial arts is learning to be a mature person.....kindness, being humble, and awareness always. Not to fight!

Only one way to learn real fighting...is go and fight for real....it may take many lessons...if one can live long enough and without going to jail,hospital, or injury for life. Does this make sense? If you need to know what will work or not? Mostly likely your training will help you...?

Real fighting is a full blown chaos.....with many unknowns... best to be act like a coward than be a dead hero.............

If you can live the rest of your life without fighting? You have succeeded in your martial art career.....this is the highest achievement anyone can gain.........work for this purpose..........Aloha

OP
R

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, The whole purpose of learning the martial arts is learning to be a mature person.....kindness, being humble, and awareness always. Not to fight!

Only one way to learn real fighting...is go and fight for real....it may take many lessons...if one can live long enough and without going to jail,hospital, or injury for life. Does this make sense? If you need to know what will work or not? Mostly likely your training will help you...?

Real fighting is a full blown chaos.....with many unknowns... best to be act like a coward than be a dead hero.............

If you can live the rest of your life without fighting? You have succeeded in your martial art career.....this is the highest achievement anyone can gain.........work for this purpose..........Aloha

What about a prearranged fight between you and a friend where almost anything goes??? As long as the two parties know when to stop??? This way you can figure out the body mechanics, timing, footwork, how to relax, etc???

I mean, whats the point of reading a drivers manual if you will never ever get inside a car??? The reason you picked up that drivers manual in the first place was because you had a general interest towards the knowledge of driving a car in the right??? YOu can read the manual as many times as you want, and you can practice the hand/leg movements of driving an invisible car all you want... but when it comes down to it, compared to a more experienced person who HAS been in a car AND read the manual, you will not be able to drive a car until you set foot into one and learn through many trials and errors...

Just my opinion.

Latest Discussions