Forum Updates 4-17-13

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just installed the latest version of the forum software. Biggest fix are some very long awaited updates for IE users. Let me know if your headaches are fixed.

Some cosmetic tweaks, new features, etc that I'm digging into right now. New Activity Feed (click What's New), rep system tweaks, etc.
More to come.

:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
New Version :hmm: Ok let's just get this out of the way now

It is HORRIBLE, I hate it, I can’t go anywhere or DOOOOOOOOOO anything. What have you done!?!?!?!?! WHY WHY WHY!?!?!?!?! If it ain't broke WHY fix it. WHAT were you THINKING!?!?!?! I like the old one better, This is to confusing. Why can't we just keep the old one. I REFUSE to do ANYTHING on this this THING!!!!!!

Ok that about covers the more unreasonable user complaints I have gotten when we changed stuff.....otherwise...not bad...I do actually hate the default I am getting when I click what’s new and I go to Activity Stream and not New posts but I think I can handle the point a click to get to new posts...although it is REALLY inconvenient and time consuming, vile, insulting and You have offended my family and you have offended the Shaolin Temple...otherwise...I'm ok with it :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made your long journey a little shorter. ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It still didn't fix the carriage return problem with IE either.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
vBulletin 4.2.1 FULL has been released.
Yesterday, 3:20pm
vBulletin 4.2.1 is NOW AVAILABLE for download. The feedback thread for the 4.2 release is HERE for our licensed customers.

vBulletin 4.2.1 is a maintenance release focused on user requested improvements to the Activity Stream and Navigation Manager functionality introduced in vBulletin 4.2, high impact bug fixes to user voted Jiras, and MAPI bug fixes/improvements necessary for Mobile Suite 1.4.

The release contains:

IE 10 Compatibility - VBIV-15679 (Instructs IE10 to render vB4 pages using IE9 compatibility mode.)
Activity Stream: Forum Sidebar - VBIV-15099
Activity Stream: CMS Widget - VBIV-15353
Navigation Manager: Add option for tab to be a drop down menu - VBIV-15023
Activity Stream: Dynamic population of new content - VBIV-15095
Allow a target to be set in the Navigation manager URL - VBIV-14981
Change maximum allowed activity stream Items Per Page to 150 (from 30) - VBIV-15089
20 issues were fixed in preparation for Mobile Suite 1.4, which will be released soon and supports iOS6.
120 bug fixes selected based on user impact/votes.

vBulletin 4.2.1 contains a total of 143 bug fixes, improvement requests, and feature requests. A full list of these changes can be found - HERE.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IE10 CKeditor Issues With vBulletin 4.2
A number of forum owners who have upgraded to 4.2 have discovered that people using IE10 are not able to use the ENTER key within the editor. Earlier versions of vB are fine as they did not use the 3rd party CKeditor.

Although those at vBulletin have known about this issue and only need update the script to the latest CKeditor they still have not given a date of a fix.

This issue also happens in other scrips that do not run the latest CKeditor version.

I'm looking at how to upgrade the editor myself. It seems trivial, however, if I do it wrong I can't test under IE10 and could break the whole site.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Workaround for the IE10 issue: Use Standard Editor, Not Enhanced.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

I am looking into this.... ****, at this point I'm so annoyed by vB if there was a different forum software I could smoothly switch to that had the features we need and functionality we're used to I'd drop them and move. :(

Instructor

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The moment I went in I thought.....Oh Bob...what have you done. I hate change. But I am used to it now and all is well.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before, I was able to view posts from the previous 24 hours from all catagories. Now I only get new posts from the past couple of hours. I already miss that. Maybe theres another avenue i can take to get there, just gotta find it?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tames, you have to click "New Posts" instead of "What's New" on this version.

Bob, as far as the CR fix... I had already put my IE10 in compatibility mode. Turned it off to see if vB had fixed it, which just essentially overturned their fix. Mostly because their fix (turning on compatibility mode) is a cludge, not a fix.
As long as I leave the cludge turned on, it works fine.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$Forum Updates 4-17-13 2013-04-18 16-12-47.jpeg
The drop down will let you narrow in on a section, the other 2 are whole forum.

What's New shows all new content, new forum posts, new blogs and new photos in galleries. It's got a 15 day limit, but reset last night when I did the upgrade.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob -- check your PMs. Bug on the backside...

Disregard. Seems to have resolved with a restart of Firefox.

Last edited: