For Gawd Sakes Why Would Any One Want To Teach Traditional Martial Arts!

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are thousands and thousands of martial arts teachers on the plant, and it isn't the most glamour thing to do. It can get down right boring, once the honeymoon is over. Am not taking about running a school either. I am strictly speaking teaching. There is no fame or money in it like say a pro-baseball coach. Why do it?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because if nobody did it, nobody would be able to learn MA at all. EVER.

There are other reasons, but thats the one ill put in here.
I for one Enjoy what little basic Direction ive given.

Oh, and there are Professional Instructors.
And if Fame is your goal in life, get used to attaining nothing, because the Thousands of Others who want the same are all gunning for it. And 99.9% of them will Fail as well.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is nothing like seeing the smile on someone's face when they can finally do a technique correctly that they have been struggling with.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Because someone took the time to teach me and I owe it to them and those who taught them to preserve and pass the system on.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are thousands and thousands of martial arts teachers on the plant, and it isn't the most glamour thing to do. It can get down right boring, once the honeymoon is over. Am not taking about running a school either. I am strictly speaking teaching. There is no fame or money in it like say a pro-baseball coach. Why do it?

Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing you are serious in this question.... are fame and money the only possible motivations for doing anything to you, John? If I still thought you had actually trained in a Koryu system, it would be wiped out with this single post, if you're serious about it.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can only speak for myself...

Seeking fame and money is what is destroying the true martial arts. Martial arts aren't meant to be a substitute for a daycare center. They aren't meant for high priced tuitions and/or testing fees to glean yet another piece of wall candy. They weren't meant as a vehicle to become rich and famous. At their core, they're meant to be a practical and realistic means of self defense. If you'd like to add on self-discovery, discipline, physical fitness etc then they can accomplish that goal as well though it isn't the primary reason for the existence of the arts.

I teach for free. Nor do I charge any testing fee. I do so becasue I love to teach. I love to see the students have 'light bulb' moments when it all comes together. When a student has been forced to use force to defend themselves, I love it when they come back safetly and explain what it was that they used that I taught them. To me, it is a highly personal thing.

YMMV

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To practice Martial Arts long enough to teach, you have to have a love for it. Others have that love for it as well. When some of your students go on to become better Martial Artists than you are, and become good instructors in their own right - there's no greater reward.

OP
J

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing you are serious in this question.... are fame and money the only possible motivations for doing anything to you, John? If I still thought you had actually trained in a Koryu system, it would be wiped out with this single post, if you're serious about it.

Everyone is an expert...or is it everyone one is a comedian...:lol:. I am speaking not of koryu specifically. But of "teaching martial arts" on a whole.

There isn't the same motivative monetary rewards, and notoriety rewards. Many martial arts teachers who do make a living at it, it is a moderate one, will at the most community notoriety. Most of us, teach out of the love for the martial arts and to make a living have a full time career, and other obligations such as family. Chris, sometimes you ask a question to elicit an answer that is more important than the question. Just look at the replies. I am surprised you didn't catch that. :) Chris, I don't also want to waste my time with petty empty personal attacks or hidden slights that frustrate everyone.

Last edited:

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in the Martial Arts for 7 years. I earned my Shodan in November 2009, and I now volunteer my time as a Sempai to teach classes at my Sensei's dojo. A part of me felt that I should be making some money to supplement my regular day job, but I don't make any money teaching classes, but I'm cool with that. I do Karate because I love it. I see it as more spiritually rewarding than financially rewarding, if I don't see that I would be going off to another club or to the YMCA to make money teaching classes.

softstylist

White Belt
Reaction score
On a purely practical level teaching the martial arts traditional or otherwise helps to increase your understanding of its core principles ,concepts and techniques. It also allows you to contribute back to your school/system in which you have trained for so many years.

:asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, when you teach a martial art, you learn it better. The teacher becomes a student of his students and learns as much or more of his art then he actually passes on. I have grown immeasurably in my art because I've taught.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Selfishly, if I don't train up some training partners, my personal progress in the art is going to be slowed to a crawl.

Less selfishly I enjoy watching a student improve and do things they may not have thought possible.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Love of the art and to gain a better understanding for myself. Being able to do something and being able to explain it or teach someone else to be able to do it are two different but related skills, and IMHO the second definitely improves the first.

Zealot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is said that its not the Destination that is worth while but its the Journey. I chose to study more traditional arts as a way to achieve personal growth and to quiet my mind. Eventually the love of the art itself is the reason to keep on. Some people on this thread have already cited that. Belonging to a traditional martial art, makes you part of a longer line that can stretch back through history. Belonging to something bigger than yourself makes you realize how small you yourself are in the bigger scheme of things. After the service, I devoted myself to full time study an development of my arts. I started teaching to show people the beauty of the culture and to pass on my love for the arts themselves.
Btw this is a brilliant way to start a discussion.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, given that I teach for free at the local YMCA and Rec centers, I don't think that the fame and money will be flowing my way any time in the near future, so I can rule those out. I can also rule out the whole "repaying a debt to my teachers thing" as I don't fall into the camp that holds that view.

I love to teach and I enjoy being able to bring the Art to an audience that may not have the financial wherewithal to otherwise benifit from engaging in training. I donate my time and knowledge. Many people talk about giving back to their community and this is the way in which I choose to do so. I teach young people the value of hard work, discipline, physical fitness, and comraderie. I think it beats the hell out of just sitting about and complaining about "kids today".

I love to see them improve themselves and I hope that I am giving them a viable alternative to running about and drinking and getting involved in trouble. The martial arts were really important to me as a troubled kid so I am hopefull that I can return the favor.

Mark

iTz BoT

White Belt
Reaction score
Teaching is another way of learning. Most teachers do not teach for fame or money. I think teaching would be like watching a plant grow, they love seeing their students improve and grow and love seeing the smiles on their faces as they progress through the ranks. Thats what they get out of it i guess.

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Because it's not just about the money, you could help keep somebody from being raped, robbed, assulted, or a child from being grabbed by some loser, there are many more but these should make my point.

Ken

Latest Discussions