FNG Reporting In

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello There,

I've been active (in varying degrees due to military (Navy) service) in the Martial Arts for almost 13 years. I attempted to become a US Marine Corps officer, but was not selected. A brief summary on my Martial Arts experience:

- Tae Kwon Do (Age 11-14)
Long Absence from MA but was an active baseball player, track/cross country athlete till age 19
- Boxing as a 132 lbs./145 lbs. (Age 19-21)
Ran half marathons and played Field Ball (a violent hybrid of football, lacrosse and soccer played with a soccer ball from age 21-22)
- Wing Chun from age 21-24

I keep in shape onboard the ship by using the small gym we have, but because of an inspection we took all our stuff off. I've been keeping in shape using the jump rope, and all sorts of body weight activities. I'm determined not to become a fat bastard like 75% of my fellow officers onboard.

On the personal front I'm trying to switch my commission to the Army either this year, or failing that, transfer to the US Army National Guard (FL) when my hitch in the Navy expires.

I'm considering taking up Muay Thai at some point, but I'm concerned I'd be too old. (I'd be between the ages of 25-28 by that timeframe). Is 25-28 too old to take up Muay Thai?

Regards,

LoneRider

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome, LoneRider!

What kind of ship are you on? There is a tv show coming on soon about an aircraft carrier:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

Only 9 days away. Thank you for your service to our country.

28 years old is still young! At that age, you can still do anything that a teenager can do!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I spent time on the Nassau and the Paul Foster as a US Marine back in the late 80s and early 90s. Enjoy the board.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome Lone Wolf...

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Really? After I'm thru with the Navy and having joined the Army National Guard, I'm hoping to settle in the Orlando area.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings LoneRider,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

Thank you for your service.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another Navy guy. Good deal. I just started Kempo at the ripe young age of 27. Honor, Courage, Commitment, Sir!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome at the martial table, LoneRider. There's a panoply of good advice and knowledge to be had from the members here - enjoy :).

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There is a Gracie Barra in Jax. Also Kirk Woodall did have a Tae Kwon Do school somewhere in the area. Can't speak about Orlando as my info is SEVERLY outdated. Either way...SEMPER FI!!!!

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm reception guys. I've already noticed this forum's a cut above other MA forums I've lurked about before. There's no bashing of styles or flame wars or anything of that sort. I'm lucky to have found this forum.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

You're never too old - and way younger than some of my TKD students; I have one who started at 40, who's on track to test for his BB in November (he's 44 now).

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My father's in his fifties and he still retains a lot of his Kyokushin Kai knowhow. He doesn't go about breaking open the tops of beer bottles bare handed like he used to do when he was younger, but he can still do it.

I'm hoping to go into Pankration/MMA (which style I choose) in about seven years after honing my striking game (Muay Thai) and ground game (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). I'd say I'd probably be primarily a sprawl and brawaler as I've got a fairly varied striking background. I wonder if that's a good idea given my background? Any thoughts?

Latest Discussions