FMAT: Russian Martial Arts--Weaponology.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Russian Martial Arts--Weaponology.
By arnisador - Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:08:44 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

The (Discovery) Military Channel's show Weaponology tonight was on "Spetsnaz" and featured brief segments on the use of the rifle in a sticklike manner, demonstrated by Sonny Puzikas. The use of the entrenching tool in CQC was also discussed (by Andrei Pokhilchuk and Mike Rich) and demonstrated by Mikhail Ryabko and others.

They stated that three main types of martial arts are trained: rukopashka boi, sambo, and systema. Frankly, much of it could have been mistaken for TKD--high kicks were commonly seen in the training.

Mikhail Ryabko and Vlad Vasiliev are seen demonstrating systema; the former speaks briefly about the art. The latter isn't identified in the show (but I recognized him).

There's also a brief shot of uniformed men doing Karate-style kata in unison and a few brief segments showing soldiers practicing unarmed combat: twice holding rifles, several times unarmed against an unarmed or knife-wielding opponent, and several times with padding and gloves, as well as a quick shot of board-breaking and another of bottle-breaking (on the forehead). The bulk of the show is on the use of rifles (used as firearms) in battle.

I believe it'll be re-shown soon.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this follow-up on that thread at FMAT:

I fast-forwarded through the "Israeli Commandos" episode of Weaponology tonight. As expected, there was some Krav Maga, including pistol, knife, and club defenses. (Some of the club/baseball bat defenses looked suspect to me.) For a while part it was just shots of people training while the discussion remained about the toughness of the commandos generally, including discussion and footage of trainees simply lining up and punching one another to learn how to take and give a punch, but then they spent some time discussing the art in greater detail. Moni Aizik of Commando Krav Maga was featured. It was a pretty good length segment on the system. It's worth looking for when it's repeated!

I was reminded of Wing Chun and of Systema at many points as I watched the techniques, as well as jujutsu.

vforcesfc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good point by the way. Myself being a 2nd Technician in Wing Tzun notice a lot of similiarities in other arts, but then again, there is really nothing new under the sun, just a different presentation and theory....Would you agree?
For instance, I saw Tony Blauer talking about some reaction drills and I swear he stole the words right out of my mouth, I say them all the time, the funny thing is I have never trained with him or seen any of his video's until now.
Good stuff in Krav, but to say that they created a NEW system is false....
All systems today are just hybrids....Period....Now, who comes up with the better formula wins :)

vforcesfc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
By the way, I saw Vladimir a number of times at the fighthouse in NYC, and he is unnecessarily rough and violent to his students...On one of his demo's he take a aluminum trainer knife and DIGS it into one of his students eyes, If he is looking for effect he got it....
Tony Blauer put it this way, Don't show what you can do to your students, show your students what THEY Can do....Profound Statement....
Just my two cents...

Latest Discussions