FMAT: Rattan- Waxed, Varnished, or Lacquered?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Rattan- Waxed, Varnished, or Lacquered?
By Castle - 11-12-2009 10:00 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi guys,
I have a question about the finish on the majority of Escrima sticks. Most sellers state they are lacquered, but I have seen the same sticks described as varnished or waxed, as well as the generic 'clear coating'. How can I tell the difference between a wax, varnish or lacquer finish? I am in the habit of covering all my wooden weapons in linseed oil and have been doing this to my Escrima sticks. They have all taken on the slightly darker 'orangy' appearance the linseed oil gives wood. Surely if the sticks had been covered in lacquer this would be impossible because the oil would not be able to sink into the wood?
When it comes to removing lacquer, I have heard medium sandpaper is the best bet, but how much would you need to sand, how deep would the lacquer sink into wood? Checking to see if clear lacquer has been removed from wood is very difficult because even plain wood has a certain 'shine' to it.
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions on my first post but i have talked to a number of stick suppliers now and all seem to have no idea what coating is on the sticks at all, how long the coating would last for and if oiling the sticks is worthwhile.
Thankyou all for your help, im glad to have joined the forum.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions