FMAT: Kali Pekiti-Tirsia or Dan Inosanto

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kali Pekiti-Tirsia or Dan Inosanto
By ochezburgess - 07-04-2011 02:59 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Iam trying to find out, which style of Kali is the most comprehensive ? So far I have narrowed it down to two systems. Pekiti-Tirsia Kali and Dan Inosanto's system of kali. Iam a beginning student just starting out and I want to join the best possible system. What Iam after is street applicable defense. I want to learn an art that I can't find just on the street courner. I have heard so many things about both systems. I.ve heard that Pekiti-Tirsia is the most complete system in existance. Dan Inosanto's system is highly commercialized and to me that is a very big red flag. I want to start training in a system that will have me learning and improving for the rest of my life. I have also heard alot about FC (Filipino Combatives) which I hear is a blend of all the Filipino systems. I have also heard alot about the Sayoc knife system which sounds a little far out, because I probably wont always have a knife on me and if I do use that system it is obvious that my assailant wont survive, so I'll be on trial for murder. I presently live here in the L.A. area. Can anybody clue me in on this one? I want the most comprehensive Kali out there, is there such a thing?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't think this is about comprehensiveness, but rather what is going to work, both in general and for you personally. I have trained Lacoste-Inosanto Kali in the past, as well as Modern Arnis and a little bit of Sayoc Kali. I train Pekiti Tirisia Kali now. Having trained other systems under high level instructors and having attended seminars with the likes of Guro Dan, Tuhon Waid, Tim Hartman, Tom Kier, etc. I would say that PTK is definitely where I would go if I was in your shoes.

This is not to take anything away from Guro Dan. The man is a living legend, as humble as you will ever find, and I have ZERO to say about him that is bad. The reason for my saying that I would go with PTK is that it is a true system in that everything jibes together. Later material in the system builds on earlier material in a way that is both logical and consistent, and nothing is taught that cannot directly be used full speed. In fact, I understand how to use the techniques I was taught in other FMA systems far better now that I train in PTK than I did previously.

There are a few options for you in the LA area within the Pekiti Tirisa Kali Global Organization, and I would heartily recommend checking them out.

Instructors | PTK-SMF

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread necromancy can be a good thing... your post actually had information that might help someone. Not just a link or name.

Martial Talk.... Talk... Hey, it's not Martial List. Maybe we're supposed to like exchange info... :D

Latest Discussions