FMAT: Jason Dunham

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Jason Dunham
By arnisador - Sun, 12 Nov 2006 04:47:09 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

The late Cpl. Jason L. Dunham of the USMC, who was killed in Iraq and is to be awarded a (well-deserved) posthumous Medal of Honor, died as a result of close-quarters combat. Most of the stories I read gave little detail beyond the fact that he was engaged in "close quarters combat" or "hand-to-hand combat" when a grenade was loosed. But there are more details available:

Quote:
While searching a vehicle, an insurgent jumped out and grabbed Dunham by the throat.

Dunham fought back, and warned his men to watch the insurgent's hands.
That's when a grenade rolled out.

The military says Dunham jumped on the insurgent's grenade, and shielded the blast with his helmet and body.

See also here and here ("he and Dunham wrestled to the ground") and here.

We as FMAers think so much about weapons such as knives being deployed during a confrontation--but it's hard for me to imagine being in a situation where I would have to worry about a grenade being deployed in such a close quarters encounter, and having to do something in such a case. I wouldn't be sure where to begin. Apparently, the corporal had (wisely) considered it and had a plan, which he executed. I'm impressed that he both had a plan and, in the midst of that chaos and with the stakes what they were, was able to execute it.

This was a true hero, who gave his life to save his fellow Marines. But he also was thinking ahead about the dangers he would face and seems like a great role model for a martial artist.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions