FMAT: Getting used to blood and guts!

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Getting used to blood and guts!
By geezer - 11-17-2010 06:11 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

OK, I admit this is pretty much a random outburst, but things have been a little slow on here lately. Anyway, this last week, my wife and I have been watching episodes of the first season of the cable show Dexter on Netflix. I actually identify with the main character, except that I am not (yet) a serial killer, ...and I really don't like the sight of blood.

So this got me thinking. When I started FMA training, it was all stickwork. Great. There are a lot of people I'd like to whack with a stick. My boss for example. Nope, I never had a problem with that. But the group I'm with now does a lot more bladework. That's fun too, playing with wood and rubber trainers and all. And then you reach the point where you have to get into a serious mindset and really concentrate on what you will need to do if you really use this stuff. Seriously trying to cut, slash, rip and tear, and letting your opponent bleed out. And being able to withstand the damage you take until you finish the job and can bind your wounds. Not nice. Not nice at all.

Where does this all lead? Well, if I am serious about learning this stuff, do I need to train to de-sensitize my psyche? When I was about fourteen I shot my first muley. A small buck. Took it in one well placed shot with my dad's 270. It died quickly, but not so quick that my dad didn't cut it's throat and bleed it out. I wasn't cool with doing that myself (course part of it was I didn't want to get kicked!) After it was dead, field dressing wasn't a problem. But I havent hunted since my teens. And, as much as I like venison, I really don't enjoy killing things myself. Guess I really don't identify with Dexter so much after all.

Coming back to the point, I'm beginning to wonder if working on a farm or someplace like that, butchering livestock, getting used to cutting live flesh, the noises, sounds, feel and smell of it all... might not be a good idea for someone like me who isn't that comfortable with blood and guts. I'm thinking that if you do something like that for a job... well pretty soon it just feels like work, right. That could make it a lot easier to use a blade the right way, if you had too. Although, cutting up people is a far cry from butchering animals for food. And my dad always thaught me, "Eat what you kill". Well, I guess there's the examples of the Donner party, Alfred Packer, the survivors of the wreck of the Essex, Jeffrey Daumer, that Uruguayan soccer team whose plain crashed in the Andes... I could go on... or I could get serious and make a start by killing Javalinas with a knife like PG Michael B. (wow, that's pretty tough, dude!)... or I could just go back to swinging a stick and not thinking about "reality" so much. Of course, even a stick could produce some spattered blood, bone and brains, if you do it right. Hmmm... any thoughts?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions