FMAT: FMA school size...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
FMA school size...
By Ron Kosakowski - Fri, 23 May 2008 14:48:44 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Here is what I noticed about Kali, Arnis and Escrima/Eskrima schools...unless there is something else taught in the school like BJJ, JKD or TKD, etc., there seems to be no way to support a school and its bills with just a weapons class. My Kali class on a good day will have 12 people. My JKD and grappling classes class could have up to 25 or 30 on a good day. The same goes for my Kuntao class though like I said, that is unusual for an FMA class...Kuntao Dumpag has a good reputation so I pull in the people for that class due to the amount of years I have been in that style. JKD is self sold everywhere in all magazines and every time Linda Lee Cadwell releases something new to keep BL’s name alive.

I have found that people are not educated in most FMA’s. They never heard of impact and bladed weapon styles. They also feel they have no use for learning something like that. Kuntao seems to be more appealing to the general public where it is empty hand oriented and weapons come into play later on. JKD of course, has that "martial art" look to it that people recognize more so that class always pulls in people. Grappling since 1993, due to the UFC has every ones interest now a days. One thing though, Fight Quest and the Human Weapon helped to make Kali, Arnis, Eskrima a little more popular which got me a few more students in that class.

I see a lot of people that teach Kali, Arnis Eskrima, teach out of their garage or cellar or in their back yards. There are not to many commercial schools that teach it. You folks notice the same thing?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions