FMAT: FMA Overlays and Adaptability

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
FMA Overlays and Adaptability
By travtex - 10-30-2008 05:07 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Without cluttering the forum with my various random brain droppings, figured I'd have a go at condensing them into one... They're all aspects of the same general theme, anyway: Principle and Variation with regard to prior training and current situation (Or even more succinctly: Principle in Context).

So, I'm only a few months in to semi-regular FMA training. Possibly a little more than that, but I managed to miss the last month with some crunched ribs. Y'know, sitting around NOT training is more painful so I wasn't the best-behaved of patients. Patients sans patience.

A few things I was wondering if anyone else noticed with regard to prior training. Basically, I started out in martial arts when I was about eight years old. Fast forward about twenty-five years worth of various Hapkido/TKD/Chuan Fah.

Now, toss in a little sprinkle of FMA and in very little time... Nothing that I do or think in training has much of ANYthing to do with ANY of my prior training. It's all angles and ranges, and if you pressed me for a 'technique', my first response would be, "Hell, I dunno."

It's kind of like a martial paradigm shift, where the past couple decades of training is simply deconstructed down to basic body mechanics and reviewed through a new filter.

It's much slower going with weapons, but my empty hands seemed to just quantum leap in flow and efficacy in a very short time. Anyone notice this?

-------

Secondly, I notice my tactics have changed dramatically. I used to be a quick 'long-range' sort of guy, probably from the TKD/HKD background. However, I have 'Former TKDer Knees' coupled with 'Former Baseball Catcher Knees' and a smattering of 'Autoimmune Joints Knees'... When I try to dance around outside, I get worn down and/or owned.

I also assume everyone knows more than I do (Generally a truth in new arts), so I've started becoming a huge fan of 'Close and Kill' entry/ranging. It seems counterintuitive to me, as I'm not a big guy.

Old mentality sees someone three times my size and wants to keep my distance. Recent mentality wants me to get in tight and go for the eyes/throat, *laugh*.

Anyone else discovered a sort of counterintuitive tactical preference change over time?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed